M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to post this recently in another thread but didn't want to highjack it. I had to wait a number of weeks before I could get the time to go to the range and shoot my poly for the first time.

I often shoot at a semi private or is it semi-public range. Anyone can shoot for a donation if the gate is open but some like myself have the combination or a key. The range has one continous firing line with stations for pistol with a 50 yd bern and rifle/shotgun with a 200 yd bern. So, I was finally off one Monday and met my Dad at the range. When we arrived there was a fellow giving pistol instruction to two students. They are down range 5-7 yds from the 50 yd bern drawing and shooting. I had small talk with my dad while setting up in my station and then helped him pick up brass. Then two other guys showed up to shoot who I didn't know. I've encountered him, the instructor, before and you have to give him multiple reminders you want to shoot and 30-45 minutes later he'll move. I walked down range to talk to this guy and let him know we were ready to shoot and he flew all over me. He insulted me and threatened to have me banned from the range. This was the funny part and think having trouble keeping a straight face made it worse. He also tried to give me a lecture on not shooting while people are down range. I didn't appreciate it but kept my cool. When he said he would report me to the manager I said I would speak to the manager as well. Fortunately within 10-15 minutes he had move and we were all shooting.

My Dad is retired so he spends alot of time at the range. He and a friend of ours will repair the steel targets several times a year, and he's also fixed the owner's tractor, graded the entrance and mowed the range with his own tractor, and I'm not sure what else. I in the last six months helped unstick a tree limbing truck from the range and helped the manager put a dishwasher in his house. In fact the manager has joked that we are life members. So, unless this fellow is his long lost love child I think I'm in good standing.
Just thought I'd share because I know I'm probably not alone and it still pisses me off. Mo

I left out my polytech functioned 100% and I love it.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
It's too bad the ranges aren't segregated by a berm, or at least have the pistol targets closer to the firing line. Each shooting discipline has different ranges of targets. Being a wide open range means just have to deal w/the situation. With all the work you and your dad has done, I've no doubt who won the argument. dozier

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did I understand it right, the people at your range continue shooting while people are downrange setting up or recovering targets?USN3GI3RNGR3GBERET3GI8ICONEEKYIKES1

·
Eye Master
4,171 Posts
Agree. If I understand it that someone was shooting rifle while the pistol guys were downrange, someone should get an ass reaming. That is dangerous, and whoever was shooting should know better.

Now, an important part of the ass reaming is giving it to the right person. If you weren't the guy shooting, the instructor should take more care in addressing the right person.

On the flip side, if no firing took place, but the acting RSO (the instructor) re-establishes the firing line to be forward of the fixed firing line, the rules ought to establish how long he is allowed to do this, as it effectively closes the range for all other shooters.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Big ego guy is downrange, makes everyone else wait for 15-30 minutes while he does his essential training.

Patient M14 shooters sit and wait after politely informing them there are other people at the range who want to shoot, and getting reamed.

M14 guys win, IMO.

Pity there are dumbasses like the big ego guy in the world.

·
Registered
396 Posts
After said amount of "fair" time has passed I would have given the Big Ego dude the final warning that he was about to be in my impact area......

Oh I why do I never seem to have any BLANKs handy when people do this stuff.......

·
Registered
824 Posts
I use to go to a range where you drive in, in back of the "station" you are going to use. I usually back in as it makes it easier to unload the trunk of the car, as do other people. There is no over head cover, just a wooden shooting stand where you sit and a rifle rack a few yards back. One range officer on a elevated type of stand with a bull horn. Was shooting a Polytech 14 with USGI parts and had shot a Winchester 52 before that and placed it in the rifle rack in back of me. Long story short, the Winchester 52 walked off while I was shooting. I guess it was kidnapped and thrown in open trunk. This was about two years ago and I still haven't gotten over it yet. CMP is suppose to have very few up for sale later this year or next. But doubt my chance of getting one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, 1Perday has it right. He was down range not me. My set up was done on an open air bench and the set up does allow for backing your truck up to the station and unload. On the pistol side there is a shelter with benches, chairs, fans, etc. Down range on the pistol side are reactive steel targets, target holders, and rails. All portable of course. He prefers to walk 50 yds down range and shoot into the bern. I guess next time I need to call cold range and hang out at the 200 yd target board. Nah, I don't trust him. Mo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got one where I shoot too.Not the range master,not the owner,but during a sease fire he gave me hell for standing in the parking lot with a .30 ammo can! I guess its a PFC"s chance to play Gunny.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
My Best Friend Lives across the River in Missouri were I went With Him to a Department of Conservation Range
The Range Nazi Started getting all over me for Picking up my Own Brass. Words were Exchanged, with the Final words Call the Sheriff's
Will never go back. I do not need the Headache over What I paid for and own. And I got my Brass
So I feel for you and Your Dad

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
The middle finger was invented for power tripping losers just like that.....

I'm polite until you disrespect me then is eye for an eye....

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
charlesPOSTLEwade,
That wasn't the "Jay Henges Range" ? That place has a Hilter's Bunker worth of Range Nazis. Another member and I quit going there, you just couldn't get any work done with all the BS.

My Best Friend Lives across the River in Missouri were I went With Him to a Department of Conservation Range
The Range Nazi Started getting all over me for Picking up my Own Brass. Words were Exchanged, with the Final words Call the Sheriff's
Will never go back. I do not need the Headache over What I paid for and own. And I got my Brass
So I feel for you and Your Dad

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
geeck
in my Daughters Words Oh MY G_ _
What a Small world it is . Thats the one

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
geeck
in my Daughters Words Oh MY G_ _
What a Small world it is . Thats the one
I lived 3 miles from that range for about 14 years I had to be desperate to actually darken their door.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My club has the different ranges segregated with tall and thick cinderblock walls. The berms are sufficiently high for the given distances. Each firing line is covered and has benches with rifle racks behind each shooting station. We also have rotating red lights above each station that are turned on when the range is cold and off when it is hot. I wouldn't belong to any other gun club. Our RSO and fellow club members help keep the general public shooters in compliance with the rules. It's a nice set up and enjoyable to shoot at.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
seniorchief;696380[COLOR="Red" said:
]My club has the different ranges segregated with tall and thick cinderblock walls. The berms are sufficiently high for the given distances.[/COLOR] Each firing line is covered and has benches with rifle racks behind each shooting station. We also have rotating red lights above each station that are turned on when the range is cold and off when it is hot. I wouldn't belong to any other gun club. Our RSO and fellow club members help keep the general public shooters in compliance with the rules. It's a nice set up and enjoyable to shoot at.

Having the range set up that way is a big plus. Keeps the rifle/pistol/and shot gun ranges separated. They do their thing, and I do mine. At least it keeps 2/3rds of the "Range Nazis" on other parts of the range. dozier

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts
My club has the different ranges segregated with tall and thick cinderblock walls. The berms are sufficiently high for the given distances. Each firing line is covered and has benches with rifle racks behind each shooting station. We also have rotating red lights above each station that are turned on when the range is cold and off when it is hot. I wouldn't belong to any other gun club. Our RSO and fellow club members help keep the general public shooters in compliance with the rules. It's a nice set up and enjoyable to shoot at.
Hmmmmm.......sounds like Poulsbo Sportsman's Club in Silverdale, WA. Right?

http://www.pscnet.net/

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.