M14 Forum banner

Range Get Together-Hamilton MT

2914 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Stamp Mill
Anyone available and wanting to meet for some shooting at the public range in Hamilton, MT sometime Wednesday Sept 20 to Saturday AM Sept 23? And a bar-b-que after with me and my sons family close by.

No firm day or time yet. Kind of waiting on weather and interest.

PM me if interested.

It's a nice range. Pistol side, and rifle lanes out to 300 yards.

Covered nicely. Concrete shooting tables. North facing with no sun in your face.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12,553 Posts
Nice part of Montana, wish I could do that, but... I went to a packing and guide school in Victor back in August of '74. Great time. After the week on the ranch training, we did a pack in up in the Bob Marshall for a week, really a great experience.

· Banned
4,266 Posts
Wish I could make it. That's a 4 hour drive for me, each way. Haven't been up that way in over 20 years.

Reactions: Stamp Mill

· Registered
1,516 Posts
Wow, that's a nice offer Stamp. Out to 300 yds.too. We have to drive over 4 hrs. (1) way here in north central Texas or it's bench only (forget off hand/prone/sitting), no FMJ, 100 yds. for "long range". Some no Mosins etc. Wish I was closer. My brother still in NY on Long Island thinking about selling their house and moving to the Bitteroot in your region Idaho side after visiting his brotherinlaw who retired from Ft. Lauderdale PD 2 yrs. ago. Him and Joanie didn't want to come back after 2 wks. up there except to see the kids and grandkids. Said one of the highlights of their trip was a real active Wolf Pack Joanie's brother and sisinlaw live smack in their range and could watch them near every day from the 2 floor outside balcony and heard them at night. I bet the weather is perfect there now too.
Can't imagine any drawbacks living there except maybe that Dope "the Gunfathers".

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
..I bet the weather is perfect there now too. ...
Autumn transition right now. Hot summer to mixed cold/warm/wet etc. Nice if you are a flexible individual that likes what nature offers.

But the place is not for everyone. The winter extremes (20-30 below), long distance to everything, and 1960's era culture. Lots of same people problems as anywhere else. Just more spread out and not as noticeable.

Some like it. Some don't.

But if you are retired and on your victory laps, it can be a nice respite from what got you where you are.

Just choose a modern well insulated and heated home. You will need a comfortable place to tie flies and reload ammo all winter.

· Premium Member
8,688 Posts
That is a very nice offer Stamp Mill... Wish I were close enough to take you up on it!
Jeff

Reactions: Stamp Mill

· Registered
524 Posts
Thanks for the offer, I will put it on my to do list for the next trip. We are originally from the UP of Michigan so the weather, cost of living and the cultural environment will all be an improvement over living in King County and Communist Washington state. We have spent some time over there and planned to come in October but have to postpone the trip. We have been looking in the Stevensville / Victor area.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the offer... We have been looking in the Stevensville / Victor area.
They say that the properties close to the river a VERY buggy in that area. Pay attention to the prevailing winds and elevation from the river. A friend in Darby once owned a house in that area told me all about the issues. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.