M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the scout compare with a standard in the ability to reach out and touch someone/something?

Is the handiness so pronounced as to be worth giving up four inches of barrel length (i.e., decreased velocity)?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Leopard said:
How does the scout compare with a standard in the ability to reach out and touch someone/something?

Is the handiness so pronounced as to be worth giving up four inches of barrel length (i.e., decreased velocity)?
My Scout is equal to my "Loaded" model, both giving me about 1.25" 5-shot groups at 100 yards with quailty commercial ammo. Haven't had the opportunity to compare them at long ranges like, say, 600 yards, so I can't say just how far out the longer barrel would start to shine. (Then again, I have a DMR clone for long range so who cares. :lol: )

·
Registered
122 Posts
From what i heard about the scout, You will lose ab out a 150 fps i think the number was, but anyways it wont matter usally until you get a further ranges beyond 600 yards or so, i havent taken my out that far but if i do i will post a range report. If you plan to do really far shooting i wouldnt recommend it if you don't the scout is a very manuverable rifle, and i think its the best median between the socom and the standard length.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you're talking "reach out" with optics, bipods and the like get the heavy barrel full length model.

For iron sights this rifle is as good as your eyes to the same ranges as the M14. You're kidding yourself if you expect to find any targets beyond 300 meters anyway. These are 4MOA rifles (rifle, ammo, shooter) anyway, not sniping rifles.

-- Chuck

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I own a bush rather then a scout as I wanted a short barrel with no scope.
Maximum shooting range readily available is 300 yds. 20rds threw my bush rifle & full length M1A was under half an inch & that was both with iron sights. NM sights on the full length M1A could explain the difference.

Unless you are going to scope it save some money & get the bush rifle rather then the scout. They are the same rifle less an expensive scope mount & the bush can take a regular scope mount. Scout has a barrel mounted scope mount.
HH

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
huntinghawk said:
Unless you are going to scope it save some money & get the bush rifle rather then the scout. They are the same rifle less an expensive scope mount & the bush can take a regular scope mount. Scout has a barrel mounted scope mount.
HH
Great advise but I think SA has dropped the Bush rifle 8O
You would have to find one in someones inventory, used or have one made.
Also, you can still get the Scout, remove the optic mount and swap hand guards - many people have done this.

Maybe SA will come out with an all GI, special edition Bush rifle when GW get's re-elected :mrgreen:

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Looking at SA's web site they have dropped the Bush rifle but there are still NIB that can be purchased. It seems they dropped the Bush rifle to try to sale the new shorter barrel rifle but I think it would be too short.

But either the Scout ot Bush are a good off hand rifle.
HH

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think you will be disappointed. They are a lot more accurate than the standards & similar to the loadeds (due to 1:11 and perhaps better harmonics with the shorter barrel). I was really impressed to get 1.3 moa box stock (using $8/box 150gr Fed AE FMJ BT) with GI irons, no mods and the worst trigger of the bunch (about 6-7# instead of the 4.5# I'm used to). Prior owner got sub-moa using a scope and 168 gr Sierra MK BTHP handloads. I expect it to improve a bit with a reworked trigger and a few tweaks ....

-- cw

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
cw said:
I don't think you will be disappointed. They are a lot more accurate than the standards & similar to the loadeds (due to 1:11 and perhaps better harmonics with the shorter barrel).
-- cw
I found that to be true. When I first got my Scout a buddy and I went to the range with a battle pack of Port.
We were able to fire his new Standard and my Scout and we both found the Scout was a lot more accurate than the standard.
My Scout has seen many tweaks since then, it's a real tack driver now :mrgreen:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.