M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a follow-up to,"range report pending"
Sighted in the new(to me) Kahles 2,2x9x42 on Bassett low picatinny mount. Eventually, worked up to 200 yards.
After lots of $ & time pursuing nirvana with 168 gr, projectiles, I've found that my stock barrel just doesn't like them in any way, shape or form! The new scope was so much better then the previous two SWFA's it was hard to get used to. Having not hand-loaded for rifle yet, I've been using and testing everything NATO or surplus and some friends hand-loads.. Over 200 rounds of premium,i.e.,Federal Gold med.match/Sierra168sbhp and so on.
On my particular rifle, the stock load of choice is the 147gr. DAG. My final group at 200 yd's with the Dag was a 5 shot 1&3/4" group. After Rad. grn. Port, 2 diff, Federal's and so on. Until a re-barrel & bedding in the future, I'm OK for now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Me Too

Just took mine to the range yesterday after some TG and GC work.
Armscorp receiver, USGI parts, SAK barrel, new to me wood stock. Bassett low picatinny with Leupold Mk4 4.5x14 LR/T

Doing the ladder test with 168SMK's and H4895 at 300m.

Result: miserable. Rifle does not seem to like 168's. After sighting in at 25m and going out to 100m with pulled 147g. I went to 300m for the ladder test. Went from 38.0 to 41.5g of H4895. Settled on 39.5

BUT...trying to get groups with this load (and some others after miserable results) I find no groupings. 2 shots in the 2 ring high and 3 down in the 4 ring. most at 6 o'clock.

Went back to my 147g loads and got decent groups .

Now I think the SAK barrel is 1 in 12 twist, which should be just fine for the 168's. I only shoot to 400m so I guess the 147's will be the ticket. Or maybe try some 155's, save the 168's for the bolt gun.

BTW...had two shooters come over and tell me to get recoil buffer, and vented/adjustable gas plug for my rifle. They shot 175's for 600yd and 155's for short range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts