M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any Randall Made Knives? I have a few, good stuff! They are made the old fashion way with a red hot iron bar, anvil, and hammer. Still made in a little shop down in Orlando, Florida in some kind of orange grove.

Here's a pic of a new one.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Nice. One day,one day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Randall Knives

I have eleven Randalls.. They are a great knife and great people to deal with. Two No. 1's, two No. 23, two No. 25, No. 5, No. 12, No. 16, No 26 and No. 27.
Maybe one day I will get around to taking some pictures..

grunt0321

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Just for the record, Randalls are forged from Swedish tool steel billets. But they are NOT hand forged. They have a large "Trip Hammer" for the forging process. If you visit they will probably show it to you. It's considerably different than James Black standing over an anvil with a large hammer using arm power shaping the entire blade by hand, alternately heating it in the fire. Be that as it may, they are good knives and they are forged. There are however people who still hand forge blades the old fashioned way. I have several Randalls, one of which has served me well as a hunting knife, dressing and skinning, since 1966. A lot of game over the palate and down the throat since then. Still going strong.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I would like a Randall Fighting Knife, but I believe all of them are fine examples of American craftsmanship.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Ol Yeller (#14 Butterscotch micarta) has a 7.5" blade .225 thick with a sharpened false edge (top 1/3 of blade) and is heavy enough to get the job wickedly done. The #3/5" is a good companion knife. The first one I posted resides in a horizontal belt sheath and is a geat daily wear sharpfinger.

With Randalls you can get stainless or tool steel. Yeller is a stainless model and it took a month of detailed work to cut the top edge on it. The tool steel is not stainless, but takes an edge better/faster. The little #5 I've had to face shaving sharp and actually arm hair shave sharp holds up better...

I use a Jap ceramic stone 5000g to finish edges, with no mud.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Model 14 Spearpoint/Saw Tooth Top
They cost, but you'll probably be able to sell it for more than you bought it.
Most are tough as nails, and too pretty to use.

Model 17, custom made for NASA's Mercury program and carried into space by the Mercury 7 Astronauts.
I think at least 1 is housed in the Smithsonian.
Legitimate Museum pieces, and I believe the Museum of Modern Art has some older Model 18's on display as example of top Industrial U-S Designs.

Money in the Bank if you collect them. 100% balls-on reliable if you use them.

'Nuff said.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I order 1 a year from Randall, and save 50% buying direct. My first one came in 1 year 6 months after order, second in 2 years. A $600 Randall will cost $300-$325 if you do it that way.

Some I give away as Chrismas presents (Actually I sell em for a quarter, never GIVE a knife away, it's bad juju), the ones I keep get sharpened and well used. I've seen grown men well up at the sight of their 25cent Randall...GI2

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have several Randall knives.
I really like the way they balance no matter what model.

I have a Bird and Trout in stainless and a No5, 5" in regular steel that I have used quite a bit gutting, skinning, and butchering game.

They are very good using knives.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
As I have stared on another post...
I was a Butcher for several years.
I kill a lot of wild game, including pigs and the wife and I eat the meat, so I still do a fair amount of Meat cutting.
I have used my Randall knives a bunch and they are great Steel, with great handling...

There are a few Original Randall dealers in the USA.
Silver Dollar Pawn in Texas is one of them.
They have a standing order for Randall's.
I have bought all of my Randall's from them. Now it has been several years since I have bought one, but they always had them at the factory price, never any premium.

Give them a call.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Randall 10/5

Just so you know...
Randall's Plain Jane Model 10's are perfect for everyday use..Kitchen, workshop, tackle box.
Randall 10/7

Nothing fancy, just pure utility.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
drshame;661293[IMG said:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/drshame/jpg.jpg[/IMG]
Model 19, custom made for NASA's Mercury program and carried into space by the Mercury 7 Astronauts.
I think at least 1 is housed in the Smithsonian.
If you go back and look at either Randall's site or their catalog, I believe you will find that is a Model 17 Astro, not a Model 19. The model 19 is a hunting knife.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts