M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How did I end up on the top of the toy box when I hadn't made it to the bottom yet?

When I had this custom made in the early 80s I had them do the longest blade & longest handle that they would do.
This guy stays on my MBR belt.

HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Had the serrations put on backwards because you have more control pulling then pushing.

HH

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I really like the Randall blade shape of the No.14, No1, No5, etc.

For a combat knife I like the top edge sharpened.

But on a Hunting knife like my No 5 I do not want the top edge sharpened, as when gunnting it is too hard to keep it from cutting open the intestines.

I have used my No5 Randall quire a bit when hunting.
Also let me state that I was a Professional Butcher for a while [I put myself through college as a Butcher], and I still butcher all of my own game meat.

The wife and I eat wild game meat 3 to 5 times a week.

I also have a Randall Trout and Bird knive that has the back edge sharpened.
I shoot a lot of small game for the freezer/pot as well. I use the sharpened back edge to disjoint the bones, cutting through spines, etc, saving the main edge for regular cutting.

I have used Randall knives a lot for wild game preperation, both the Tool Steel and the Stainless Steel blades, they have all performed in a most excellent manner.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You have a Mod 18 blade with a Mod 14 handle.

The "teeth" on the top of the Mod 18 Blade were designed to cut through the skin of a downed helicopter, not to cut wood...

Now the Hollow handle of the Mod 18 does have some purpose for a "Survival Blade.
You can carry some "stuff" in it, but the main thing it is good for is to make a spear out of the knife, which would be useful for taking some game/fish etc...
At least in theory...DI2

I can say that I have used Randall knives quite a bit while hunting, and I have gut, skinned, and butchered a lot of game with them over the years, and I have found their steel to be very good. They hold a good edge and are not to hard to sharpen.
They have excellent handling and balance as well.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No offense, but putting your knife on the end of a stick is a good way to loose your knife.

HH

·
Registered
714 Posts
FYI:

It's a Model 14 with a Sawtooth Blade..similar to the Model 18, but 18's are ONLY available with the hollow, survival style handle.
Model 18's are NOT available with anything other than a straight brass handguards, though some RARE ones came with stainless steel. My Model 14 has Nickle Silver Handguards.
Confusing things even more, the Model 16 Dive Knife also comes with an optional Sawooth Blade and Black Micarta Handle that looks almost identical to the Sawtooth 14. But the blade is slightly narrower, and next to each other, they look like twins.

Whatever you choose, they are investments and will serve you for a lifetime and be passed down to your kids.

Model 17 Astro, Flight Certified by Nasa, designed with the help of the Mercury Astronauts.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The Mod 17 does have a hollow space under the scales that can hold some "survival stuff".

It was designed primarialy to cut off the space suit quickly, and then be used as a "knife", until NASA rescue...

The SAD thing about Randall knives is IMHO, is that many of them are bought and never really used...

They are one of the best "using" knives a fella could have, again IMHO...
And I say this because I have actually "used" them a bunch.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
No offense, but putting your knife on the end of a stick is a good way to loose your knife.

HH
If you look closely at the Mod 18 Survival knife, with its hollow handle, and the 2 holes in the guard, it is designed to be attached to a "pole", or long "stick", and using the holes in the guard, along with some Boy Scout lashing techniques, with Paracord, it can be most securely attached, to a pole/long stick, making it a very good weapon, game killing device. MUCH more effecient than a hand held knife.

Simply stated, you should/must prepare in advance, and have the skill, and the cord, and the lashing skills, to "make it happen".

Hint, many people wrap the handle of the Mod 18 with several yards of cord....

Put some fishing gear, some malaria pills, some money, some antibiotics, and if thing are hopless, a "suicide" pill, and you are good to go... ANYWHERE, at least on a one way trip...DI2

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

HH

Also, IF you do not want to attach your knife to the end of a pole or stick, and I kinda of feel this way, the great designs of a Mod 18 not with standing, you can use it to sharpen ,and then fire harden, the point of several pole/stick hunting/weapons, keeping the Knife safe on your belt, for future use, where it cannot be "lost".

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rule of thumb is you don't put your knife on the end of a stick for hunting. But at the end of a stick as a lance for protection is another matter. Notice I said lance & not spear. As a spear its thrown & you might be throwing your knife away.

HH

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could also use the holes in the guard to tie a rope & use as a grapling hook. That doesn't mean I would or am going to.

HH

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
HH, I agree, a sharpened "stick" fire hardened or not, ie several of them, would be just as good, for all practical uses, as a "stick" with a Randall attached.

As long as I had my Randall, on my belt, I can make hundreds of "sharp sticks".

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now, IF I designed a hollow handle knife for it to be screwed onto a raw cut sapling it would have coarse threads on the inside to more firmly attach the shaft. No such threads on the inside of the Model 18 handle.

HH

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Now that is a good thought, threads on the inside of the handle...

However as a former Boy Scout I have NO doubt I could Lash, my Mod 18 Randall to the end of a "stick, speer etc"... And have it hold tight...

However...
Being a belt and suspender type of guy, I would never do "that".

I would have some "sharp sticks" for sure, but my Randall would be on my belt, ready to sharpen more sticks...

And not to Hijack this thread,but I have used my Randall knives, tool steel and Stainless to gut, skin, and butcher several deer, turkey, wild pigs, black bear, elk etc. and find them to be very good cutting tools.

Also I was a Butcher for several years, so I know a "little bit" about knives and cutting meat...

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I always favored the Dive knife shape:
Great minds think alike- and of course you're the other one. GI5

I added a saw blade, which has turned out to be very handy for notching things, just as I'd hoped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts