M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like everyone else here was crushed to hear that CMP was out of M-14 parts. However, given todays M-14 climate, we really shouldn't be surprised. A panic seems to have overtaken all of us where G.I. parts are concerned, and most, if not all of us are to blame.

People with one or two M-14 types purchase eight or ten of a certain part, either for specualtion for a future profit or to save them if the SHTF. Nothing can be done about the former, as there will always be people trying to take advantage of others. As for the later, do any of us really need that many extra parts? I, for one, will probably never wear out one bolt or op rod, let alone five or six. The same goes for any major M-14 component. I understand saving some parts for a possible future rifle project, or to replace a broken part, but do we really need to save all of the extras, and then, when we do sell them, is it necessary to gouge our fellow shooters? I know, if I don't sell it for a large profit, someone else will. But, it all has to start somewhere.

Darrell

·
Registered
368 Posts
I share your sentiments, Darrell. I bought a couple bolts & trigger groups from CMP for spares, but I also have four M1A's. (That means I have less than one spare per rifle.) CMP's purpose is to make shooting of these rifles affordable, therefore accessible to as many people as possible, so it does sadden me that people have taken advantage of CMP's low prices for their own personal profits. Personally, I think capitalism is the best form of economic society there is, but it's still a shame (IMO) to see capitalists take advantage of something like what CMP offers. :?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I posted this across the street last night, but it's just as appropriate here:

Well, I've got 4 M1A/M14 rifles, 3 of which I've built (or had built for me) using parts from the CMP. I am down to a couple of op rods as spares now - one is USGI SA, the other an SA, Inc. repro. The USGI SA op rod will be sold shortly.

I agree that there are many people that are hoarding parts and that it'll probably be a long time (if ever) before many of these parts again see the light of day. I'd gotten caught up in the "must have spares" frenzy for awhile, but eventually came to my senses. Why would I ever need 8-10 "spare" bolts, op rods or trigger groups? Simple answer - I probably won't. So I used what I needed to use to build some rifles & sold the remaining parts off so someone else could get some use out of them.

All I intend to keep as spares will be small parts like ejectors, firing pins, extractors, trigger pins, etc... If by some wild chance an op rod or bolt does break 5-10 years down the road I'll just suck it up & buy one then. Somehow, I doubt it's going to be a common occurrence.

No real point to this post I guess, other than as a general response to the last several posts in this thread. Yeah, it sucks that the CMP ran out of M14 parts & the resulting price increases are really going to be ugly (most likely). Maybe it'll keep people from buying 15 bolts & sticking them in a sock drawer, never to be seen again though...

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
I agree that CMP is a good thing to be enjoyed by the shooting public and needs to continue in the future.

It's easy to assume that CMP is the only source for businesses or people to buy parts from and re-sell at higher prices to the public.The truth is,CMP is not the only place for businesses or people to buy parts.I'M sure some do,but not all.

The Gov't sells many things at auctions including gun parts.I'll also add that those auctions are open to the public.Anybody with the money can bid on these auctions and if you win the bid you pay up.

Here's the kicker. You must buy in huge lots and ussually without much of an inspection period.One other thing.You must have lots of money which can add up to thousands of $$$$$$$$$$.

I have bought from auctions many times myself.It's not uncommon to pay up to $25,000-$50,000 for each lot I purchase.

Since the demill program went into affect,most gun parts have been cut up.I bought my last lot of gun parts 2 months ago.So if CMP is out of parts,it's because of the demill program and parts being shipped overseas.

If anybody wants to see pics of those nice demilled M14 parts I'll show them.I never got all good parts in every lot because some parts were cut up as well.I posted here and on AR15.com that M14 parts were running out at CMP and would be gone real soon.It's funny that those people who laughed when I said that are crying now. :cry:

I'll also say that I sold parts for less than anyone else and they were nice parts to boot.If I put up thousands of $$$$$$$ to make parts available to the public that would otherwise be cut up,then I deserve a return on my investment.Anybody here got $100.000 to invest in a good cause like this????? :roll:

So bottom line is,NOT EVERYBODY BUYS FROM CMP AND RE-SELLS FOR PROFIT.I sell parts that were never available from CMP.So I hope everyone takes this into consideration before slandering folks who sell M14 parts (or any military gun parts).

Considering the sentiment from folks about prices,I may have to reconsider the prices I charge for parts from now on.

Fly high,shoot low and you'll hit'em everytime.Warbird out

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yep, I know exactly what you mean about the price of parts. I had to park both of mine because I just can't afford the parts required to fix them. I'll just keep hunting; maybe I'll still get lucky, for now I'll just have to make do with the "Black rifle".

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll admit that I "stockpiled" USGI parts so that I would have enough parts to build 4 USGI M14s and have one spare major group part for each (bolt, op rod, and trigger group). It may be a little excessive, but I wouldn't call it hording. I also would not call selling a couple of extra op rods as buying low and selling high. Its the people who purposefully buy 10-20 op rods or what ever and then go right to ebay to sell them that killed the CMP thing.

However, just to put things in perspective. There is nothing inherently wrong with Repro parts. They may not last as long, but they still work. I have one SA M1A with repro parts and don't plan on fitting it with USGI parts until they break. As long as someone makes them and warranties them, then you'll never truely run out of parts. So if SA goes belly up, then it is time to panic.

Also, if the US Armed forces are truely interested in reintroducing the m14 in any large number, there is always the possibility that they will contract with someone to produce more parts to USGI spec (i.e. not cast).

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Isn't it funny that some people pay higher prices for some things when cost goes up due to inflation or cost of living,but expect the cost of M14 parts to stay the same for 10 years without a cost increase????

I don't think people should be gouged on price either.But,a reasonable cost increase should be expected, especially when and if supply is low.I don't tell people what price to sell something for.If it's more than you're willing to pay,look around untill you find it.

If you want to have 100 parts of one type,it's your right.The last time I checked,I lived in a free country.

It's a strange world we live in huh??? :?

warbird out

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
warbird: Pardon me, but I haven't seen anyone slandering you, or businesses that sell surplus parts for that matter.

All anyone has bitched about are the people ordering a dozen op rods/bolts/trigger groups at a time from the CMP & reselling them at a hefty markup on Ebay along with the folks that are "stocking up" on crazy amounts of "spares".

Personally, I was not thinking of you at all. I had not put you in that category.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Quagmire,
I didn't say you (or anybody) were.That's not what I was saying at all.

But,no reference was given as to who the statements were directed at either.There was nothing said about people not selling CMP parts for profit.I wanted to seperate myself from those that are (or were) selling CMP parts for profit.

People here know I sell M14 parts and other parts too.It's better to make things clear before they get out of control.I don't want people thinking that I'm one of those outragous sellers looking to profit big time because of a bad sittuation.

warbird

·
Registered
55 Posts
Warbird, I am interested in your comment about the demilled parts. Is the gov't destroying gun parts other than the serial numbered receivers? If so what an egregious waste of taxpayer dollars! One can argue endlessly about the "once a mahine gun always a machine gun" status of original USGI M-14 receivers. However the other associated parts could be sold to the shooting public either through dealers or the CMP with a modest return on the initial cost. Indeed the initial cost was footed by the taxpayer and as such they are "our" parts anyway. What parts have you seen cut or otherwise destroyed before being sold?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Parts

Folks,

Since I was the one who began this thread, please let me clarify what I was saying. Firstly, I have dealt with Warbird in purchasing parts, and no one is any better to work with. Although this was NEVER the case, if I felt he charged too much (which he doesn't) I could have chosen not to purchase from him. What I was saying, was that many of US are to blame for the parts prices in that we have chosen to horde parts or buy cheap and sell high. This was in no way meant to point the finger at ANY parts seller, especially Warbird. This WAS directed at individuals who horde or gouge.

Warbird, please know that you are one of the good guys in my book. I hope this clarifies what I was saying.

Darrell

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got to say, Warbird is one of the good guys;I know he tried to help me, and I am grateful for that, I think what Quag is saying is correct, lot of gougers out there who don't really care about anything except how
much they can rip. Sad thing it is.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I am going to miss those parts from CMP. I was just about to purchase some M14 Trigger Groups. I am one step too late...sigh. Always a day late and a dollar short! I don't quite have enough spare parts for each one of my M1A's...but again I probably wouldn't need spares for all of them. But would be nice to know you can buy them at a reasonable price whenever you like to.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
warbird: Understood. You are one of the good guys in my book.

Darrell: You are right. "We have met the eneny & he is us." :(

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
WillyJP said:
Warbird, I am interested in your comment about the demilled parts. Is the gov't destroying gun parts other than the serial numbered receivers? If so what an egregious waste of taxpayer dollars! One can argue endlessly about the "once a mahine gun always a machine gun" status of original USGI M-14 receivers. However the other associated parts could be sold to the shooting public either through dealers or the CMP with a modest return on the initial cost. Indeed the initial cost was footed by the taxpayer and as such they are "our" parts anyway. What parts have you seen cut or otherwise destroyed before being sold?
The demill program was started by yours tuly "Bill Clinton".
For the last 6-7 years I've seen so many M14 parts cut up in hydraulic shears.

In some of the lots of parts I bought,there were demilled parts mixed in with the good parts.In order to make money on the parts I bought,I priced most below everyone elses selling price and only made $5-$8 on each part.Not a way to get rich quick but it was fun (at least for me).I had to sell for less than others to move the parts and be able to pay bills too.

I've heard that the demill program is now on hold because of the re-issue of the M14 and the need to supply our troops in the field.

Everyone knows that guns and parts are worth their weight in gold especially in bad times.So I do believe some people are hoarding parts because of value (better than the stock market).

I'm one of the few that can say,the CMP never hurt my business.But,untill everything settles as far as prices go I'm not selling the major parts.I'm on my last lot of parts and still want to sell for less than anyone else.I have current orders to fill and I'll see what happens in the near future.Man,I'm getting emails galore.

So you need USGI barrels?? I have plenty of them.Just in 3-4 pieces though.I have some demilled barrels,op-rods,gas cylinders,pistons,gas plugs,and oh yeah flashiders.I'll post a photo tommorrow of these once was nice parts.Instead of a petition to own a M14 rifle,how about a petition to stop the demill program and get more parts??

Now that we all understand what this thread was all about,I for one will do what I can to supply parts as long as it last.I must say thanks to you guys for helping to clarify the issues here.

Now I need to have another chat with Elmer and talk some sense into him about coming down on his prices.I might have to buy all his remaining supply to get a deal from him. :? There goes another few grand.I'm glad I'm not married (yet). :?

warbird out
:roll:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would ask for you to consider the idea that CMP's prices were not realistic.

The parts are scarce, certainly less than the demand for them that currently exists and continues to grow. Their prices did not reflect current market value. If CMP charged a price for items more in line with day to day demand, (Not Ebay prices). Then I would suggest that they would still have an inventory of parts. Orion7, FA, ... still have parts for sale.

I would like to add this for your consideration as well, government acted to induce scarcity, first by destroying a very large number of rifles from inventory then it issues a number of remaining rifles to the troops as well as purchases parts from the private sector to support the issuance of rifles for maintenance purposes. The buying public clearly understands the value of scarcity.

I wish I had my 67 SS Camaro back from when I sold it in 1973. First, it would be worth a lot more now. 2. They don't make them like that anymore.

·
Registered
53 Posts
spare parts

dperr- I agree with your post,really a shame about CMP,but sooner or later it was bound to happen.After all,everyone needs a few spares to assure functioning for many years to come,not to be hoggish,just for maintenance's sake. Cap'n Bill :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
To me, it looks like one company or one person bought all of what the CMP had ayt one time. That sounds like the only way to make sense of it. How else would they sell out of handguards and buttplates at the exact time they ran out of TG and op rods?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.