M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that since the housing addition was built my yard has become the low spot. Combine that with clogged drain tile and every rain we get a nice little pond in one corner. Had the company that handles our lawn irrigation system out to look at clearing some of the tile. He wouldn't even touch it due to the fact that the main drain line sits higher than the field area I'm trying to clear.

Trying to drain the "pond" and realized I could use some actual rain gear to help make it a little more comfortable. Currently using a Columbia rain jacket, it does an ok job, but it's not waterproof for the extended periods of time I'm going to be out in the weather.

Don't want to break the bank, but also realize quality comes at a cost.

Was looking at Frogg Toggs and Helley Hansen, but any recommendations from those that have used them (or other brands) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Take it from a guy that has used most every brand of rain gear out there,...Columbia, HH, Simms, Patagonia, Marmot, Arcteryx, OUtdoor Research etc.
Fishing in Alaska and Canada where it rains sometimes for days,...when I’m hunting I wear Cabelas Guide gear Gortex jacket and Sitka Timberline (Gortex) pants
Your looking for 3 layer Gortex with Gortex hot pressed sealed seams with gusseted crotch pants.
Cabelas Guide Gear Gortex is the best I’ve used. Tough, warm, washable, durable. Simms makes a very similar product but I liked the guide gear sale price.

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=234204480

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a set of Frogg Toggs and they are reasonably good light duty rain gear. They are comfortable and they breath. If they are stressed they will rip out at the seams. The fabric melts near high heat and should not be used if you are near fire. Surplus might be the best low cost heavy duty rain gear.

·
NSR
1,453 Posts
Gents,

Got a set of frog togs last year and really like them. For rough duty it's hard to beat the old "uniroyal" type of OD green rain gear.

Wes

·
Registered
104 Posts
Take it from a guy that has used most every brand of rain gear out there,...Columbia, HH, Simms, Patagonia, Marmot, Arcteryx, OUtdoor Research etc.
Fishing in Alaska and Canada where it rains sometimes for days,...when I’m hunting I wear Cabelas Guide gear Gortex jacket and Sitka Timberline (Gortex) pants
Your looking for 3 layer Gortex with Gortex hot pressed sealed seams with gusseted crotch pants.
Cabelas Guide Gear Gortex is the best I’ve used. Tough, warm, washable, durable. Simms makes a very similar product but I liked the guide gear sale price.

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=234204480
The Guide gear is what I used for "severe duty" like fishing and working out in the elements. I got the bibs and coat. It breathes better than the Holly Henson "rubberized" gear. the Frog togs are not very robust- I trashed a set within hours of using them with normal activities.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Helly Hansen Impertech is really hard to beat for the money. It isn't breathable so be prepared to get wet from the inside out! For outdoor hobbies I use KUIU and haven't looked back. Blessed

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Goretex is where it's at for breathability.
Otherwise in any conditions of warmth/ humidity you most likely sweat enough to might as well have just opted to be rained on.
But, goretex is damned expensive.

I went through many brands and levels of quality in several brands before finding a good median.

Frogg Toggs cheap stuff is cheap crap, they get slightly better with their Bullfrogs and Toadskinz.
But even those didn't last while working and hunting/fishing.
I'd rip seams, especially the crotch and they'd never stay waterproof in the shoulder seams and elsewhere.

Finally I talked to a Frogg Toggs rep, and he sent me gear to try out free, try it, like it and buy it, if not send it back.

I settled on their Pilot series, $300.+/- for jacket and bib overalls.
They're not goretex, but they've lasted three years of work, hunting/fishing and are still great condition and more importantly... Waterproof.
Not good in hot weather, but they do breathe better than cheap PVC crud.
Best money I've spent in a long time.

Of course if I'd bought high quality goretex in the first place, I would have bought once and cried once. I've spent enough on low quality gear to have bought them.

Reactions: oseto317

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I have a set of Frog Toggs & I sweat like a Pig waiting in line at the locker plant in them. The sleeve lining sticks to me & I finally ripped them out.
I do best with a good old fashioned GI Poncho!

·
Registered
448 Posts
For Frogg Toggs to last they need to be sized one or two times larger than your normal outer wear. The bagginess is so they will not be stressed. You should be able to do a low squat, cross your arms across your chest and do forward / Rear lunge without the suit being tight.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Frogg Toggs has so many different models and levels of quality, you can't just generalize the brand.
No less than fifty different lines of rain gear with seventeen types of fabrics, ranging from cheap crap to great gear.
And when it comes to overall quality and durability, it all boils down to,
"You get what you pay for.".
You have to state which line, cause my $300. set of Pilot series gear is magnitudes better than their $45. "Classic" rain suit combo.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
At the time I bought mine I didn't realize there were different levels of Toggs. I paid $60 for mine at Academy Sports

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,653 Posts
What is this rain gear thing you speak of? If we get more then 1-2" a year its a lot here.

Casey [in the Southern Nevada desert]

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Today, and likely all week, I'm in a catch-22.
Rain, rain and heat/humidity, so I'm damned I do and damned if I don't.
Not get rained on and still get almost as wet from sweat.

And Goretex would make zero difference.

Some things about the South suck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts