M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share with you all a project I've been working on.
I've installed two of these in my back yard....finishing up today.
The project had to start with the installation of gutters in my back yard.

I purchased the urns online through Home Depot.
They were delivered directly to my home.
I chose these urns for a couple of reasons:
1) I wanted a decent amount of capacity (65 gallons each)
2) Controlled fill rather than dumping the entire downspout into the container.
3) Visually pleasing to my wife and the neighbors.
4) You can add up to two additional urns to each rain diverter.

Water filtration of course will be done prior to any consumption.
I plan also to roughly filter debris through the lines going into the urns, with maybe a screen or something. Maybe you have an idea for me regarding that?

Then what I'm thinking is maybe a large container Brita filter to put in the refrigerator for collected rain. I have a generator that I use for the fridge when the grid goes down (and it does here a lot, especially during hurricanes)...but I want to eventually build a solar generator capable of replacing my gas powered generator some day soon.

That is another project for another day....here is what I have so far.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A rain collection container needs to be covered, otherwise it is a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
This is a sealed container. The only opening is the one I precision drilled to accept the input tube which is a very tight fit.
The top of the urn is recessed to provide for a drained planter if you want to go that route.

5,445 Posts
^^^ That!

A longterm water collection vessel should be entirely sealed for health reasons.

Open top vessels allow for contamination.

Furthermore, a spout of some sort (located at the bottom of the vessel) helps so as to maintain the vessel integrity while still permitting consumption of the water.

Search this forum and you shall find posts on this very subject matter.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I think they only get onto you for collecting rain water I fIf bwater if the water you collect normally would run down to others land.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I understand the aesthetics issue as have run into it with my other half at her place.
Two 55 gallon barrels in the garage is best I've been able to get so far. Plus the cases of bottled water.
But still have to work with her on renewable water like from the roof.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here are some closeups of the diverter and such....
As mentioned....a totally sealed unit that only has the inlet hole which I had to drill, and of course the output hose which has a ball valve on the end of the hose.

The tops are recessed with a separate drain hole situated towards the house to be used as a planter.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Double blocking flow

I like what you have done. One consideration...... I would install the ball valve directly to the outlet of the vessel with a short threaded PVC nipple. With the way you have it now.... Should anything happen to your hose, you will loose all of your liquid. It could get cut by the lawn mower or an animal could gnaw on the tubing.

Consider installing a garden hose quick connector directly into your valve. These quick connects have a built in check valve. In doing this you would have a double blocking setup. The ball valve will block the flow and the check valve in the quick connect will be your second block. That would insure the contents staying in the drum until needed.

Reference:
http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Powerwasher-81K030SH/p1416.html

Hobo

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Storms/hurricanes are our greatest concern in Florida. One thing you can count on though is with all the associated rain your containers will be filled.

Even if your plan is only to drink bottled water there is still the need for water for flushing toilet, cooking, washing dishes, washing yourself, etc. And some of those uses you want the water purified.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is great, thanks. But I have a question which would only impact people in highly populated urban areas. So back in the 80's and 90's it was reported that areas where the regional air flow and geography was such that smog would accumulate and the resulting rain would turn the otherwise PH neutral rain into a slightly acidic rain. My guess is that the collected rain could be PH altered to put it back to a neutral state. So the question is if people check the PH level of the collected water find that it is indeed acidic, what steps should they take to alter that back to neutral? I hope this isn't too far off topic with the system you have presented. Thanks.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
This is great, thanks. But I have a question which would only impact people in highly populated urban areas. So back in the 80's and 90's it was reported that areas where the regional air flow and geography was such that smog would accumulate and the resulting rain would turn the otherwise PH neutral rain into a slightly acidic rain. My guess is that the collected rain could be PH altered to put it back to a neutral state. So the question is if people check the PH level of the collected water find that it is indeed acidic, what steps should they take to alter that back to neutral? I hope this isn't too far off topic with the system you have presented. Thanks.
Ionizer would be my choice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Silver coins inside the barrel helps too, but I think a lifestraw or similar would cover most contaminate worries, at least for drinking. I've been thinking along these lines too, our county encourages it as does yours.

One question as to the O/P's setup. What is inside the downspout to divert water into the hose?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.