M14 Forum banner

Rail system for M1A Scout?

6965 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  spyke52
Hey guys, I am new to this forum (first post) and have a couple questions regarding a rail system for my M1A.

I picked up a SAI M1A Scout a few months ago and have been wanting to put a nice rail system on it. At first I was looking into the Troy M14 battlerail (I have a TRX 11 on my Spikes mid length and love it), but was turned off when I realized I couldn't use the stock irons on it. Lately I've been seriously considering the Vltor CASV-14 for it instead. I was wondering if any of y'all have one installed on your rifle or have any experience with it.

While I would absolutely love to have a Sage chassis or something of the sort, I am only a college student and can't afford to drop that much money on a chassis system. My plans are to throw the CASV-14 on my M1A and put a Vltor Modpod on it as well (optics will be put on it some time down the line).

So my main questions are, will the CASV fit on my Scout without modifications, and will I need to purchase the 3 and 9 o'clock rails separately? Any advice/information/suggestions on other rail systems or chassis are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-Derek
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Have been researching this myself for the past year. I have decided myself on the Vltor CASV-14 for the reason of being able to keep your iron sights. It saves you money of not having to buy BUIS and no replacement sights are as good as the originals on the M14. You will have to purchase the additional rail kit for it if you require the additional mounts. I currently have a Smith Enterprise weaver mount on my "Loaded" and a Sadlak mount on my Socom. If the Vltor would have been available at the time, I would have bought it over the two models I have. For just a little more money you get a full rail to mount night vision equipment to, keep your iron sights and it mounts securely just like the SE and Sadlak. Hope this info helps. Oh yea, HOOK'EM HORNS!

· Registered
593 Posts
check out the ultimak m8 rail. it's the only one on the market that allows you to co-witness your iron sights through a red dot.

i just finished a build for a friend with the m8 rail and a aimpoint pro with the low aimpoint mount. it's a light quick shooter.

· Registered
9 Posts
I just installed the CASV 14 on my scout a few days ago. Pretty easy and straightforward with just a few tools. If you don't want to buy the handgaurd clip tool, you can improvise, I used a modified set of snapring pliers, others have come up with different methods. Other than that you just need a 3/32 roll pin punch, and a hammer to remove the stripper clip guide. A couple allen wrenches 1/8 and 5/32, and a 3/8 socket or wrench. I haven't finished my stock yet, so I haven't taken it to the range yet, but I can see the iron sights through the channel in the rail. The side rails don't come with the top rail, I still haven't decided if I want them or not, not really a necessity for me. Anyways, hope this helps.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
If you want to keep it in a scout configuration then +1 recommendation for the Ultimak M8. I just installed one on my Scout this last weekend. It's amazing how much lower the scope sits compared to the SAI mount. I cant wait to shoot it in this configuration.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys

The co witness of the m8 sounds really nice, but I like the idea of having the extended rail of the CASV, along with the additional side rails I could order for the mod pod. I'm also not sure if I could get used to having a magnified optic almost halfway down the sight radius.. but thats just me haha

Spyke- do you think you could post a picture of the CASV on your M1A? I've been having so much trouble finding a picture of the casv without an aftermarket chassis

If any of y'all have can post pictures of the m8 on your rifles that would be appreciated as well!

· Registered
9 Posts
I actually posted a few pics of it the other day on another thread. Its in the factory black plastic stock for now, but my rail is in FDE, so it doesn't look right, but you get the idea. I'm in the process of modifying a fiberglass stock that I'm going to paint to match. Just got a little impatient and wanted to see it mounted. Anyways here's a link to the other thread. It's the last post on page 4.

http://m14forum.com/modern-m14/84359-new-vltor-rail-4.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.