M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, but first time poster here. I hope I am posting this in the correct section. If not, please move or delete my post and inform me of the error.

I am looking for rail covers for my JAE G2 that will be wide enough so as to leave little to none of the stock exposed. One thing I never considered when purchasing the G2 was that being completely machined out of aluminum, it soaks up heat from the barrel and transfers it your hands with ease. After a day of shooting, it can literally get too hot to handle. This was something I never experienced with a wooden stock, and my guess is the wood was much more insulating.

I have purchase a Magpul XT Rail Panel, but found it too narrow. In looking for alternatives, "low-profile" rail covers seem to be the trend, and I haven't found any that offer enough width to cover the stock. I know I could just get a vertical foregrip, but I don't prefer the "choke-hold" feel such a grip offers. Maybe I'm old-school, but I feel I have more control with the rifle resting on my palm and fingers.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
I don't know what aluminum version of teh stock you're describing as they are all full length aluminum with a polymer skin.

The nicest feeling rail covers I've found are the TangoDown SCAR rail covers -- very slim with pebbled finish and make the rifle feel rounded NOT blocky like the others.

·
Registered
185 Posts
After a day of shooting, it can literally get too hot to handle.
I cannot believe this. SHOCKED2

My JAE stock has never been "too hot to handle", and I have shot two carbine classes with mine, and I have also left it lying in the summer sun for hours during breaks. As Gun Rider has already stated, the entire length of the chassis is covered in plastic, and that has been enough to insulate my hands. However, if you find that you are putting enough volume of fire down range that your hands are getting burnt, then you might want to wear a pair of leather palmed Nomex gloves.

I am looking for rail covers for my JAE G2 that will be wide enough so as to leave little to none of the stock exposed. ...I have purchase a Magpul XT Rail Panel, but found it too narrow.
Either you are confused...or I am.

My Magpul XT rail covers are sufficiently wide enough that they leave NONE of the aluminum portion of the JAE stock exposed to contact with my hand.

In fact, of all of the numerous brands and designs of rail covers that I have tried over the years, I always end up going back to the Magpul XT's. They can be instantly installed onto, or removed from, exposed sections of rail without interfering with mounted accessories. Also, the segments allow them to be neatly and uniformly cut to any desired length. In my experience, they offer the best overall flexibility and traction out of the many currently competing rail covers.

In looking for alternatives, "low-profile" rail covers seem to be the trend, and I haven't found any that offer enough width to cover the stock.
You won't find any, as they are twice as narrow as the full size covers, and therefore expose more of the underlying aluminum chassis. Since you expressed concern about contacting the aluminum surface of the stock and rails, then you should definitely avoid the low profile "ladder" type rail covers.

Gun Ridder recommended the Tango Down SCAR rail covers, but I will have to disagree with him, as I tried these on my JAE and found them less than satisfactory.

Unlike the Magpul and others, which snap into place over the top of the rails, the TD SCAR covers are not soft rubber. They are a stiff plastic, and therefore, one must slide them into position on the rails from either end. On the JAE, this installation is very difficult to accomplish, as their accessory rails are slightly out of spec, and the covers are a very tight fit.

Also, once the Tango Down rails are installed, it is best not to remove them. The locking tab has a very limited life cycle; removing and reinstalling the covers one too many times will result in the tab breaking off.

If you are unable to find a suitable rail cover for your JAE, for the sake of your safety and comfort, I would be willing to help you out by taking it off of your hand for you! ICONWINK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts