M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I have #2301 with the same barrel markings. It is my understanding that they are technically not a 'Devine', as Devine's have a Devine address on the barrel. Here's mine for comparison:

Different said mine was sold as a barreled receiver, and with some details and pics I sent him he said it was built by a USMC trained armorer. Of course, I don't know the details on the one on GB.

The park on the receiver looks darker on the one on GB than mine. Here's mine:

I bought mine from a co-worker. I don't know if I paid too much or got a great deal. I thought it was fair, I paid $1800.

Maybe Different will chime in.

HTH, Deac

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The 12106 RADIUM S A TEX 78216 engraving was one of the address markings added to assembled M1A rifles and barreled M1A receivers by Springfield Armory, Inc. located in Texas. Springfield Armory, Inc. moved its operations and inventory to 12106 Radium Drive San Antonio, TX in early May 1974. The FFL with the new (12106 Radium Drive) address was approved by the BATF in late September 1974.

The best information available indicates the large majority of the M1A serial numbers shipped from the Radium address were stripped or barreled receivers, not complete rifles. Springfield Armory, Inc. at 12106 Radium Drive San Antonio, TX 78216 shipped M1A stripped and barreled receivers to customers until the end of October 1974. Observed serial numbers with the Radium address range from 0021XX to 0024XX.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Deacon and Different. Nice rifle Deacon. I am still educating myself on the Devines. I was originally thinking any Texas marked barrel would be considered a Devine. Now i understand that the markings need to be the actual Devine Tx markings. Am i on the correct path? I enjoy any of the early M1A's that were built in the early 70s that have not been molested and still have the USGI parts. It is amazing that a lot of the early M1As i see are mint or unfired.
I still enjoy the pinned and recessed Smith and Wesson revolvers but have really enjoyed researching the early M1A's over the last 3 or 4 years.
Thanks again and really enjoy the site.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Thanks Deacon and Different. Nice rifle Deacon. I am still educating myself on the Devines. I was originally thinking any Texas marked barrel would be considered a Devine. Now i understand that the markings need to be the actual Devine Tx markings. Am i on the correct path?
It depends on who you ask. Some collectors will consider any M1A rifle that was assembled by L H Gun Co. / Springfield Armory, Inc. while it was located in Texas to be a "Devine M1A." I don't make that distinction but others do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear you. I have read post with different opinions on what the definition is of a Devine M1A. I am going to stay neutural at this point and respect the feelings of the experts since i am the novice. However i do like the early Texas receivers/rifles, the Devine marked barrels will gain more of my respect.
Thanks again and appreciate the time.
Deacon i will probably pass on the low number on GB at this time but it looks like a nice one. Maybe you need to go for it.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Read information added 7-10-11 under description. That's why I said if the high bidder wants it. I don't know if he is obligated to take it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Holy cow. I understand there is a great appreciation for these rifles and there's only a fixed number of them around, but holy cow $3700 seems a bit steep.
Not really. That's one of the more reasonable prices in the last 5 years.

I have two with radium addresses. The NM with a 24xx serial was probably built by a military armorer or so it is believed. The other a 33xx was bought that way in San Antonio or so I was told.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gee, I live in San Antonio and I was buying guns here in the early 70's. I wish I had known. But I was more into handguns back then. I didn't become a rifle shooter until the 80's with my first M1 Garand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.