M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I saw a Remington 700 R5 milspec in .308 at one of the gun stores I visit. Yesterday I went in and put some money down for layaway. In a month or so I will be bringing it home.

Now comes the fun part of deciding what to do about a scope, rings, sling, etc. I'm also thinking about having it painted black.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Good luck those things shoot real well. One day maybe I'll have one too.I'm still learning how to shoot a scoped rifle. I know what you mean by painting it. One of my M1A's and my AR are stainless and it looks okay on them but I do prefer a black bolt rifle.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Remington R5

You lucky dog! Been looking at those for a while and trying to decide between it, a Savage, or an FN, Can't wait to hear a report.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I had one on loan with a 12x Leup target mounted with Badger goodies. Only mod was the trigger job. Didn't go out beyond 200m, but it did shoot inside a quarter at 200....I'll have to get the recipe on the handloads that came with it. 168gr is all I know.

I will have one one day as well. 1/2 minute pretty much out of the box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
r5

I have one ,bought it last july,that gun is scary accurate.Put a millet trs-1 on it.Using 168 gain ammo,dime size groups @ 100 yards,all day long.With harris bipod ,bench shooting.The xpro trigger is adjustable,but set from the factory @3.5 lbs,which is great.The most accurate gun I own.I highly recommend one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, they really are that good. I've had one a few years now and it's hands down the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. I guess some of the high dollar customs might be better but couldn't be much better. I keep saying I'm gonna paint mine but haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet,lol.

·
Registered
674 Posts
5Rs are nice sticks. I owned one a few years back, but sold it as I didn't have access to the distances it would truly shine. The 100 yard SGL range was made boring as all get out with that rifle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice find.

Put a good scope on it. Leupold, US Optics, S&B are all good choices.

I have a Rem 700 PSS that shoots a handload of 44.4gr Varget with the 175SMK under 1/2MOA. If I'm doing my part, usually not, I can get that down to a 1/4MOA no prob.

US Optics has their USMC Scout Sniper Day Scope that they submitted for the upgrade a while back. Very nice scope and would work well in that shooter.

Best of luck, and enjoy that stick!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good luck with the rifle. I can tell you the 5R rifling is very nice, our M24s use the same barrel.

I want one as well but hate the stainless/green stock combo. Apparently thats the only color. What kind of finishes are available for stainless steel?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Mucho finishes out there. My favorite is plain ol krylon. Easy to touch up and can be removed easily.

If I had my choices I would do an OD green Teflon or other hi performance finish on the barreled action, bottom metal, and bolt body. Maybe FDE....

There is a finish called Ionbond or something like that that will black it right up forever.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
The finish that the FBI HRT and most of the Marine Sniper rifles start with is Birdsong's black T done at their shop in Mississippi. I have it on my 30-06 Pre-64 model 70 that has an original Obermeyer R5 barrel on it. It shoots unbelievably good also. Neither of my 7.62 bolt guns are R5's but both are 1 in 11 which is what an R5 is. And both of them shoot tiny groups too.

That's the first rifle I have had with a Birdsong finish on it and I actually like it a lot. I have had a finish done by an outfit in Tucson that is OD green done on both my 7.62 x 51 bolt guns and they did a super job also.

For those who don't know the info on R5, here it is. It means Russian 5 groove, slant rifled barrel, 1 in 11" twist. The groove is actually shallower on one side than the other of each groove, which is supposed to improve wear characteristics of the bore and also accuracy, hence the term "slant rifled". It was originally designed for ISU shooting and was a closely guarded Russian secret until some spook smuggled out the data and then the Govt took it to Obermeyer up in Wisconsin to duplicate it. The first rifle to get such a barrel that was a production weapon was the Army's M24 sniper rifle. All the original barrels for that were made by Obermeyer. After a while Remington started making the barrels themselves and it came out on the civilian market in a Rem 700, first in an all stainless sporting rifle and later in a varmint or PSS version.

My personal opinion after owning both an Obermeyer R5 and a couple of Chanlyn 6 groove 1 in 11's is that the slant rifling is more hocus pocus mystique than anything. The 1 in 11 is what is important to me. All three shoot better than I do and the groups are small enough that it's not worth the trouble to try and measure them anymore. I have a friend who had a R5 made into a heavy barrel and put it on one of his Devine Texas M1A's and it shoots almost as good as a good bolt rifle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts