M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After sniper training tonight, we broke out the M1A's, as we hadn't done any testing in pitch black with the different models. We had shot in near darkness, but tonight was stumblin' around dark.

We shot a couple of stock SOCOM's, a Scout with a flash hider, and a Scout with the Vortex Direct Connect.

Ammo was 147g ball, and Winchester Silver Tip 168g.

SOCOM's had quite a flash, but wasn't blinding to the shooter. Flash signature was very visible though, and outlined the shooter for a split second. Both SOCOM's had some failure to feed problems with different magazines.

We shot a Scout with a stock flash hider as a control to our experiment. Definite signature, but far less than the SOCOM. Didn't seem to light up the area as much, and you got the cool star-shaped pattern to the flash.

Scout w/ a Smith Sommers Vortex was by far the best. The Silver Tips produced hardly any flash at all, and the ball was just barely visible. All at the range were very impressed with this setup. Along with the Smith Dovetail Gas Lock, it makes a package just a couple of inches longer than the SOCOM.

Okay, gotta clean rifles before turning in.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Chuck S said:
Seems we "rediscover" the Vortex every year about this time when it gets dark early ;) .

-- Chuck
Yep, I remember reading a few post about the Vortex same time last year.

I found the Direct Connect Vortex (#2000V) on SE's web sight but I have yet to locate the Dovetail Gas Lock.
Can anyone tell me what this gadget does for the rifles performance and point me in the right direction to find one?

Thanks --

·
Registered
170 Posts
it allows the use of a muzzle accessory like the direct connect vortex that does not have a provision to mount the front sight.

and it looks cool.

there is no need for one when using a vortex, as the vortex is available with the front sight dovetail

www.smithenterprise.com

·
Registered
156 Posts
It seems what what really makes a difference is the barrel length. Does anyone have any comments for this comparison, for the longer barreled rifles? I've yet to try firing at night but am very interested to find out how mine performs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SunRise420:

Smith makes a dovetail gaslock for a rifle mounted in the Sage stock as well. It's like 0.030" higher on the dovetail to accomodate the extra tension the Sage puts on the system with the mounting procedure.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
EX UMBRIS said:
SunRise420:

Smith makes a dovetail gaslock for a rifle mounted in the Sage stock as well. It's like 0.030" higher on the dovetail to accomodate the extra tension the Sage puts on the system with the mounting procedure.
Right on!
Now that is valuable information.

Thank you ---

·
Registered
142 Posts
SOCOM's had quite a flash, but wasn't blinding to the shooter.
We shot a Scout with a stock flash hider as a control to our experiment. Definite signature, but far less than the SOCOM.
Scout w/ a Smith Sommers Vortex was by far the best.
These results should be expected, as the SOCOM's muzzle device is technically a muzzle brake, sometimes called a compensator, designed for gas porting to control muzzle rise. The two other rifles have devices specifically designed to reduce flash signature.

Of course, it is always fun to do a low-light shoot just to confirm.
8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.