M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, new poster on the site (but long time lurker) and trying to get a few opinions.

I posted an ad on armslist trying to get my hands on an M1A or a M1 Garand. I had a gentleman offer me a M1A loaded for 2200 with glass or a M1A National Match for 2000. I have several guns and a guitar offered in the trade, and I'm not yet sure which/what he is interested in. I can link if anyone is interested in seeing the ad etc. but didn't want to link and have it block the thread as advertising or some such. The rifles are wooden stocked, looked like walnut. I emailed asking about the scope, but I don't know the make/model yet.

A) Are these prices reasonable? I know next to nothing about the pricing area on this rifle platform, I've shot them but never bought them. Much more familiar with handgun values etc.

B) Would these be reasonable deals for the rifles? I know a large portion of that rests on what my reasons are for wanting them. I've wanted a rifle like this since I was young and watched WW2 movies (The Garand) and Vietnam/general war movies (M14 - Civilian M1A)

C) Are there any questions I should be asking him that are specific to the M1A series rifle?

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate any help you fine folks are willing to offer.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
A & B are essentially the same question.

A & B) It really depends, Pictures help a lot. On the loaded, it really depends on condition of the rifle, its components, the scope mount, and scope. If it ends up being an NC Star mount with an off brand scope, in opinion, that price is outrageous. On the NM, that's not such a bad price. Again, you need pics.

C) Idk if there are any specific questions to the m1a's that wouldn't be relevant to other model m14's (lrb, ira, etc.). You should get serial #'s on both rifles to confirm with SAI how they left the factory. Who knows, they could be earlier production rifles that left with GI parts, which increase the value.

It's really in your best interest to deal FTF. For all you know, the guy could ship you an M1A NM and you end up with a shot-out barrel, worn down firing pin, worn down op rod tab, etc.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
In the M14 world, knowing what you are looking at is worth $1k. Look on gunbroker to get a good comparison with what he has and what value it may be. Hope you are a quick student.

Second best. Have someone knowledged look or ask the questions.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
In the M14 world, knowing what you are looking at is worth $1k. Look on gunbroker to get a good comparison with what he has and what value it may be. Hope you are a quick student.

Second best. Have someone knowledged look or ask the questions.
Knowing what your looking at-250
Hands on inspection-250
Knowing what to inspect for-250
Firing rifle-250

There are several delicious items for sale in the classifieds. With exception to the junk I sell, most of these rifles posted on here are priced very fairly and would get dogged on by members if they were out of line.

I have seen some M14 types that I would not have paid 1K for. An optic can be a tasco, or a S&B. Don't get hung up on the term "National Match"-there is very little magic behind a 'National Match' rifle if it is marketed as one. It's just a term that is used very loosly now to describe certain parts or modifications. National Match rifles can shoot worse than a rack if it has not been taken care of properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey folks, in answer to some of the responses:

I only deal with locals on armslist. Im willing to drive a bit, about 45 min, but I will not ship.

An American Fender Telecaster in Tabbacco Burst.

This is the link he sent me to show which model it is he is offering, with a stainless barrel:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-national-match/

Buds has it listed for approx. 1900 unshipped, untaxed, and no FFL fees included. He's asking 2000.

My question is from what you, as owners and shooters, have seen, is this a good deal for the rifle with hardcase and 2 mags? Or would I be better served by passing and keep looking?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hey folks, in answer to some of the responses:

I only deal with locals on armslist. Im willing to drive a bit, about 45 min, but I will not ship.

An American Fender Telecaster in Tabbacco Burst.

This is the link he sent me to show which model it is he is offering, with a stainless barrel:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-national-match/

Buds has it listed for approx. 1900 unshipped, untaxed, and no FFL fees included. He's asking 2000.

My question is from what you, as owners and shooters, have seen, is this a good deal for the rifle with hardcase and 2 mags? Or would I be better served by passing and keep looking?
If you can do a FTF and knowledgeable about M1As and can tell how much wear on it (measuring tools, etc), it might be reasonable. Assuming no premium USGI parts on the Armslist gun (stock rifle), Buds' is cheaper, no tax and only ~$20 for shipping insurance (no shipping cost from Buds). You pay FFL transfer ~$25 depending on who you use. And it will be new.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm usually leery when someone shows me a picture of what it looks like, but not the actual item. Also in all the dealings I did while working at a gun shop, with optics mounted on a rifle, the optics in most cases added no appreciable value to the sale. In the case of an M1A/M14 it will depend on the scope mount and obviously the scope. $200 more tells me the scope is not of quality and a cheap mount is being used as well.

Although we are not supposed to give value here, you should be able to do better as shown in the posts above.

Bruce

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I think I would RUN not walk away. Trying to sell a used rifle with ads from the manufacturer is a Big Clue about a sellers intent . You need to look at the ads we have here in the PX the caliber of the people on here IMO is a lot higher than what you'll find on armslist. You can find NICE rifles vetted by enthusiasts that don't send photos from an ad, for the same money often less Some with very high USGI content, IMO more highly desired than new NM . I've seen some really a few nice lrb's and rockolas in that price neighbor hood and quite often for a few hundred more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
A meet FTF would be the way... a fair price with TPS rings, scope and base, I guess. Certainly not a steal but IF if looks great, measured out fine with no slop in the op rod, I'd make an offer. You can certainly offer less for a split up deal on just the rifle after your discussion determines how much the scope is worth to him/her. Bottom line is you need to get your hands on it and the guy must be willing to meet. Otherwise, i'd say stick with new, like Bud's, or hang in the PX here until a keeper comes along. Best of luck shopping and be careful!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Looks like he's trying to get top dollar for them. Probably recent manufacture and not shot much, but an inspection would be in order. Newer models probably don't have GI parts, if that's important to you, but they are backed by Springfield's great customer service and warranty. Questions to ask would be rounds fired, if he has the box and paperwork and if he's had any problems with them.

If it was me, I would look for something like this and check it for GI parts and wear: http://www.gunsamerica.com/995794723/Springfield_Armory_M1.htm

I don't know how far this one would be for a FTF for you. I messaged the guy a day ago and have not heard back, but feel free if you want to try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts