M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have recently acquired a Norinco M305/M14 Short Barrel. To gain some stability on the range I bid on an e-bay mid range folding bipod with universal barrel adapter. I was surprised to find that the quality of this item was very, very good and was excited to add this to the firearm when I remembered.... DOH! I have short barrel!

The only place I can truly fit this, and it will take some machining of the "universal adapter" (Not the firearm) is right on the gas tube housing.

My question is there any problem with having this attached where it is. I would rather go without then find out that I am doing some sort of disservice to the working parts of the off gassing or housing itself.

I will include a photo to show you what I intend to do. Note nothing is done up yet just showing placement.

Thank you for your help gentlemen. And Merry Christmas.

http://imgur.com/a/QxRHw#6FR37
Click the link to see the photos.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
My question is there any problem with having this attached where it is. I would rather go without then find out that I am doing some sort of disservice to the working parts of the off gassing or housing itself.
As a matter of fact, the GI bipod clamps onto the gas cylinder as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I am somewhat new to the world of firearm ownership but have been taught in life it is better to ask and be wrong, or given a hard time about something then to FUBAR yourself in the end. I had a good hard look at the placement and felt it was OK especially because its just a rest after all.. but wanted to ask anyway.

Now on to my tougher choice Optics...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I hope you're not a big fan of accuracy. ICONWINK

Reactions: RAMMAC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was cheep, and I am shooting 300 yards and under. The range outside of my city is 100 Yards... 9/10 I will be shooting within 200 yards. So yeah I understand short not so hot for consistence accuracy but its a nice rifle and great for when a guy needs it for it's given application.

I made a 4" 5 shot group at 100 yards on iron, as long as I can hit kill then I am happy not looking for dimes. :)

·
"Death From Above"
11,565 Posts
Typically these days people are placing the bipods on the bottom of the stock by replacing the existing front sling swivel and plate with either a plate with a QD stud or picatiny rail and a swivel. A very popular bipod is the harris line of bipods either in the 6x9 or 9x13 inch leg length. Atlas and GG&G are very popular as well. I am certain that your set up will work fine and serve its purpose. As it was mentioned the original GI bipod attached right where you placed yours. I have never done a side buy side comparison with my GI and Harris set ups to be able to give you a definitive answer but from what I have read, placing the bipod on the gas system degrades accuracy. I am sure you will still hit what your aiming at. Enjoy it and have fun, thats the important part.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Hi Calgarytoad! I believe the accuracy comment was directed at the bi-pod mounting method rather than your barrel length. In general, it's better to mount a bi-pod to the stock, not the barrel. Mounting to the barrel will affect accuracy by placing an inconsistent (shot to shot) fulcrum point force on the barrel and also affecting the barrels natural harmonics of vibration (whip) and return point. Good luck with your new rig.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hey like 82nd said shoot that sucker and have a blast!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Typically these days people are placing the bipods on the bottom of the stock by replacing the existing front sling swivel and plate with either a plate with a QD stud or picatiny rail and a swivel.

Could anyone provide me with a link to such an item? I would like to add a plate in that location if it is feasible. Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Typically these days people are placing the bipods on the bottom of the stock by replacing the existing front sling swivel and plate with either a plate with a QD stud or picatiny rail and a swivel.

Could anyone provide me with a link to such an item? I would like to add a plate in that location if it is feasible. Thanks.
https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32473/psize=96/Product/M14-M1A-REINFORCED-QUICK-DISCONNECT-POST

http://sadlak.com/si_hd_front_rail.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts