M14 Forum banner

Questions on NM sights and op rods

754 2
After shopping for NM iron sights I cant figure out if the NM rear assembly is any different from a standard other than the smaller hooded aperture. Are the adjustment knobs any different?

Also Im on the market for a USGI op rod but Im having some trouble. I know the dimensions play a factor in fit up but what do I need to look for in tab size? I see it mentioned alot but have never seen a reason. If it matters the parts a for an LRB receiver.

Thanks in advance for the help
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
9,109 Posts
Real NM/2A NM rear sights have windage knobs threaded 5/16x64 where standard sights are 5/16x32. This give the sight 1/2 minute adjustments for wind. The hooded aperture allows 1/2 minute elevation adjustment.
SAI NM sights are made from modified standard parts and use a ball detent system to get 1/2 minute windage. This works OK, but the 32 TPI threads have a lot of slop compaired to the NM/2A sight.
Tab wear on the operating rod is important. Excessive wear can cause the op rod to dismount from the receiver at worst or cause inaccuracy due to excessively loose fit at minimum.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha, thank you. At least I know what sights I'm looking for now.

As far as the op rod, I've been googling and searching this site and learned basically what you said about it, but what is the USGI spec for the op rod tab width? I've seen a couple different numbers on the minimum or spec widths and wasnt sure what to go on.

Thanks for the help, Ted

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.