M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kinda like who came first, the chicken or the egg. Wondered which came first the Walnut or the Birch. Also through all the stocks that I've seen, I noticed that the majority of walnut stocks have the DOD and proof stamps, but the birch only about 15-20% have the stamps. Also, the difference in grip size. Most birch have a larger grip size than walnut. I've seen a bunch of the larger grip size in walnut also, but it's not the norm. Are the different sized grips something that was planned or something that was significant to the manufacturer? Thanks Bill!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
From reading some notes of the Springfield Armory Museum I found out that the black walnut stocks were used first. The yellow birch stocks gradually replaced the black walnut stocks beginning in 1961. Yellow birch replaced black walnut because it was cheaper. The example given was that the walnut stock cost $5.09 and the birch stock $2.75 (1961 prices). The last M14 rifles to be assembled with wood stocks left the factory in July, 1963. Development of the fiberglass stock appears to have gone through several stages between 1962 and late 1965. From markings on the stocks, we know Winchester and Springfield Armory made wood stocks.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Different, I have come across a bunch of stocks with a large flat H under the buttplate. Figured it must have been H&R...who knows???

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Good question, Hawk. I don't know one way or the other if H&R made M14 stocks. They did mark their M14 rear sight bases and front bands "H R."

·
Registered
720 Posts
Since we're on the subject. I just saw a couple of stocks that had the"P" stamp on the underside inside a square instead of a circle. Is there a reason for the difference? Are they just as common as the circle P?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The following ad was posted by azski on 07/26/03 in the For Sale Forum at www.battlerifles.com Note the "H" stamped trigger safety. Perhaps "H" is Harrington & Richardson. :?:

I have a CMP Winchester M14 trigger group that I want to trade for a TRW one.

The housing is stamped: 7267030 66118

The hammer is stamped: 66118 5546008

The safety is only stmaped with an H

Let me know if we can do this trade, otherwise I'll just order one from the CMP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts