M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is interested in buying a Thompson .45. He wants to get a new one made by Auto Ordnance. Are these good ones? Should he do his homework and get something from an older vintage? He is interested in the WWII style (stick mag, etc.). Neither he nor I know anything about Tommy Guns, so any advice to enlighten us is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A real Thompson SMG is an NFA Title II weapon and will cost you a wad of cash to own and smaller wads of cash to feed. They are a hoot to shoot but I burned $160.00 worth of ammo in less than 30 minutes at a range on Coney Island drive in Sparks a few years back.

There's an active Thompson forum at http://www.machinegunbooks.com/ You have to register to view these forums but you could learn a lot lurking there. Start with the FAQ that is pinned to the top of the forum.

I have read mixed reviews of the modern semi automatic reproductions of the Thompson.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
The quality of the older ones were spotty. One I had for awhile and broke the ring of steel on the boltface. A call to them got a new one no problem. Since Kahr took them over , quality has stepped up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.