M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a Springfield M1A Scout Squad dropped in a Troy MCS. I love the configuration, I love the gun. I have been in the Army the past few years and have only had the chance to shoot the rifle on and off every few months. I am getting out soon and plan on doing a lot of shooting out of this thing. I wanted opinions on the durability and life span of a Springfield barrel, and any other alternatives that are geared towards high quantities of rounds through the barrel. I use standard 150 grain FMJ usually. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Most agree that 3500 to 5000 rounds down the pipe is a reasonable expectation of barrel life and accuracy. some may go a little father and some may go less depending on rate of fire and maintinence. Incorrectly cleaning a bore can do more damage than shooting alot.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Barrel Life

There is a big differnce between accuracy life and barrel life.

Peak accuracy in match grade M14 barrels usually will last 3500 to 6500 rounds. This doesn't mean the barrel will not shoot accurately after that, just that it's accuracy will start to decline.

Barrel life can and often does last up to 12000 rounds, but most barrels will be pretty shot out by 9000 or so. This means they will shoot with acceptable combat accuracy up to that point.

Chrome lined barrels should be good for as much as 3000 rounds more than non-chromed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you talk about incorrectly cleaning the bore, what actions dramatically decrease the life of the barrel? Are we talking about negligence here or something else? Also, maybe I'm just lazy and haven't done my research on my own weapon ... but do regular Springfield barrels out of for example a Scout Squad come chrome lined?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts