M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a new SAI NM my first M1A and have a couple questions that I am hoping you other more experienced owners can help with. I have fired only 20 rounds through the rifle and had no problems at the range. The issues are, when I cycle the bolt slowly, it seems to hang up, and will sometimes stick about 3/4 of the way back. If I cycle the bolt back quickly there is no hanging or sticking. Is this normal? Will it get better with use?
The second issue is when I removed the stock to install a front rail for a bipod I noticed some peened metal on the op rod where it contacts the reciever, to me it looks like a sloppy casting that corrected itself, I will try to post a bad phone picture of the area. Is this anything to worry about?

Thanks for your help I don't want to hurt anything

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Is the rifle properly lubed? Even though I've had several M14 type rifles I've never to date had a new unfired one so I can't address break in issues. As for the peening, is it the small shiny area near the relief cut? The pic is not very clear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, The rifle is new, I called SAI they said it was ok to shoot as is? I will now lube it properly as it is out of the stock.. Sorry about the crappy picture but yes it is the shiny spot, it peened the metal back in that small area

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Normal for current SA Inc. op rods. It'll take care of itself and no need to worry about it. Just de-burr it.

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
I thik the resistance you are feeling when cycling the action is the bolt traveling over the hammer that sits on the top of the trigger assembly. Thats normal. The bolt is what sets the hammer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your quick replies, I will de-burr it and lube and shoot it. This forum is the best, everyone is willing to help out the new guys, I'll sleep better tonight knowing everything is good with my new baby.

·
Registered
409 Posts
By the way, Nice Rifle!

Happy shootingGI6

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
If the shiny spot eats at ya there is this stuff called oxpho blue. A little q tip and it's not shiny anymore. Whatch the spot does not get to crazy. It's normal for the op rod to bang into the face of the receiver. Keep an eye on it.
PS helping dudes out is what the forum is all about.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The way you describe your concerns I think you're good to go, especially since the rifle functions fine. Lube 'er up and burn powder! GI6

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wanted to say thanks again for all the comments, and to give an update. I de-burred and cold blued the op rod, then lubed and reassembled the rifle and the action works beautifully now, no hanging up or sticking. Can't wait to shoot it!

By the way, just because I said new guy, doesn't mean I'm not an old guy

·
Registered
250 Posts
So, I guess that means you're New Old Stock?GI8

1 - 14 of 14 Posts