M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new shooter and I want to purchase a new 1911 a Colt. What I would like to know is what the differences between series 70 replica and the 1991 series pro's and con's if any? Any information will help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The 70 series has the A1 features such as a rounded mainspring housing, shorter trigger length. It also does not have the firing pin safety lock, meaning the 70's are very near to a GI pistol. Not sure if the "new" 70's suffer from plastic parts.

The 1991's are of the 1911 model with flat mainspring housings and longer trigger lenghts. Last I new the 1991 had plastic parts. It also has the modern 1980's vintage internal firing pin safety.

The A1 is my preference, and I a bit bummed that its no longer being made by that many anymore.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am a new shooter and I want to purchase a new 1911 a Colt. What I would like to know is what the differences between series 70 (reproduction) and the 1991 series pro's and con's if any? Any information will help.
Fixed it for ya. GI2

A series 70 "replica" would mean that the newer ones would be made exactly the same as the original. The originals used a collet barrel bushing and had smaller profile sights where as the reproduction pistols use a regular barrel bushing and higher profile sights. Colt uses the term "series 70 reproduction" but I think they should have designated it like they did the Colt SAA's (1st generation, 2nd generation, etc.) as they were made the same overall, but had small parts improvements. MCORPS1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts