M14 Forum banner

Question: Why did snipers not use suppressors? Or, did they?

4725 59
Just got a M40 clone, bunch more questions soon to come . .

Last night I was watching "Sniper" with Tom Berringer and was wondering why I never see suppressors on these movie rifles.
In real life, did snipers use suppressors?
If not, then why?
Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Premium Member
22,381 Posts
Just a little humor. Bullet travels much faster that the speed of sound so the target is history by the time the sound arrives. Another joke was that only a bad shot need a can. Of coarse they serve a purpose for not revealing the position of a hide in current times.
I use a can on one of my 5.7x 28 ARs for coyotes. Before I started using a suppressor they would hear the shot and go in the opposite direction. Now using a can they just seem confused and pay attention to their downed buddies right to to the last one.

· Registered
3,625 Posts
Some newer sniper rifles are issued with cans; the Knight's M110 SASS comes readily to mind. A can would possibly conceal the origin of the shot, but the supersonic bullet will create a small sonic boom whenever it passes a stationary object like a tree on its way to the target.

· Premium Member
225 Posts
Just got a M40 clone, bunch more questions soon to come . .

Last night I was watching "Sniper" with Tom Berringer and was wondering why I never see suppressors on these movie rifles.
If not, then why?
Of course suppressors were and are used! Hollywood is just retarded.

Muscle Standing Military uniform Military person Style

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Wood Air gun Trigger

Camouflage Military camouflage Air gun Machine gun Marines

· Registered
191 Posts
Some newer sniper rifles are issued with cans; the Knight's M110 SASS comes readily to mind. A can would possibly conceal the origin of the shot, but the supersonic bullet will create a small sonic boom whenever it passes a stationary object like a tree on its way to the target.
My most trusted friend & I held a test once. I stood downrange & had him fire my suppressed 308 boltgun past me. Numerous safety precautions had been taken for all the safety types out there. Heres what happened.

In a wooded area the sonic crack of the bullet passing me was extremely confusing. It sounded like the noise was coming from all directions since the terrain reflects the noise. He fired three times & all three I could easily hear but there was no way I could determine where it came from.

In a completely open field I could faintly hear the firing & again easily heard the sonic crack pass me but it'd still be dang hard to determine where the shot came from.

· Registered
3,625 Posts
Art's pictures reminded me that the original M21 was fielded with the Sionics suppressor, from the mind of the legendary Mitch WerBell. Not sure just how long that lasted, or if they were actually used in the field. That was before my time.

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

· Registered
9,810 Posts
Art's pictures reminded me that the original M21 was fielded with the Sionics suppressor, from the mind of the legendary Mitch WerBell. Not sure just how long that lasted, or if they were actually used in the field. That was before my time.
Yea they saw service in Vietnam, part of the XM21 sniper program. I just happen to own an original SIONICS M14-SS.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN

· Registered
5,360 Posts
If not, then why?
Hollywood is notorious for using silly small fake sound suppressors on pistols. As if something the size of one or two C sized batteries can suppress a pistol to a bare whisper. But movies are not reality.

Sound suppressors were used on M1903s way back in WWI. They were used a lot in Vietnam too, but according to a retired 1st SFG SOTIC instructor, the cans in the 1970s-80s and into early 1990s were best for close range work. Too much point of impact (POI) change between suppressed and non-suppressed for long range work.

He noted that the technolgy really progresed in the 1990s and they became practical for sniper use around late 1990s/2000 for long range work. The US Army added a suppressor to their M2010 rifles in 300 WinMags in 2010. It’s standard equipment.

The USMC started using/testing them in the mid-200Xs on M40A3s that had a SureFire attachment added to the barrel. It proved effective for 1000 yard work and they adopted them as standard in 2009 on the M40A5. The technology is mature at this point, but it took a while to get there. Hollywood sometimes uses them in creative ways. The most famous one I recall being that shotgun used in “No Country for Old Men.”

· Registered
2,607 Posts
Sound suppressors were used on M1903s way back in WWI. They were used a lot in Vietnam too, but according to a retired 1st SFG SOTIC instructor, the cans in the 1970s-80s and into early 1990s were best for close range work. He noted that the technolgy really progresed in the 1990s and they became practical for sniper use around late 1990s/2000 for long range work. The US Army added a suppressor to their M2010 rifles in 300 WinMags in 2010. It’s standard equipment.
Wood Window Office supplies Hardwood Liquid

Wood Bumper Cable Metal Windscreen wiper

Camouflage Military camouflage Cargo pants Ballistic vest Military uniform

· Registered
2,607 Posts
Scout, is that a maxim suppressor? If so, they were very effective, and still are even though they were designed well over a 100 years ago!

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN
Yes it is here are some more pics of it.
Camera accessory Automotive tire Tool Font Auto part

Automotive tire Grey Audio equipment Font Camera accessory

Font Automotive tire Cylinder Technology Auto part

Automotive tire Grey Rectangle Asphalt Font

Auto part Coil spring Electric blue Fashion accessory Cylinder

Grille Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

Camera accessory Household hardware Auto part Automotive tire Rim

· Registered
9,810 Posts

· Forum Jester
9,433 Posts
early maxin silencer cutaway.still pretty much design used today.it's a specialty regulated item up until vietnam,not able to be used on off the shelf weapons systems until then. before vietnam,they were still using the screens,which would clog up easily. the corrosive ammo use didn't do it much good either.

· Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys, if I'd thought about this a bit longer before posting , ,
We did a Service Rifle Match with our rifle club. We shot, then took turns in the target pits, then shot more, rotated all day.
So, I knew that the bullet hit the paper before we ever heard the crack of the rifle fire.
See what a little thinking before posting does for mental clarity? LOL!

Also, I have two pals, one was a LRRP/Ranger, he "worked at night" is what he says.
He sent me many pics from VN of him in his camos, green face, and his CAR-15 which had a suppressor on it.

My other pal was a Marine Recon with 1/9. We used to hunt and fish together a lot and talked a lot about rifles, etc.
Somehow the suppressor issue never came up.

But neither of these guys were snipers and that is why I asked the question.
I love the M40 I have and really would like to read more about them.
Thanks for your help!

· Registered
16,776 Posts
Prior to CNC machining, suppressor technology was pretty primitive. Large and heavy. Over a foot long and more than a pound. Not the best idea for balance or barrel harmonics. The best stuff used water or wipes. The wipes were very effective, but didn't last long and naturally degraded accuracy.

They aren't really needed for long range shooting. The sound the enemy hears is the sonic crack of the bullet, which is perpendicular to where the shot came from.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.