M14 Forum banner

Question on M14 operating rod

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  SixTGunr 
#1 ·
I purchased a M14 operating rod recently. It is a Winchester unit with a lot of finish wear but in excellent condition. I believe the seller bought it through CMP. Anyway, this is the first M14 operating rod I've seen with the DOD cartouche (eagle and three stars inside a square). Was this a common marking for M14 operating rods?

Thanks,

Different

#5 ·
Aloha Different:

I have two Winchester (66118) op rods and neither have that stamp... I think that would be cool to have... :lol:

I have not seen that stamp on any other op rod that I have either... as I take my other pre-ban rifles apart, I will look at those as well.

Where is this stamp mark? Is it near the manf. and cage #?

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

#6 ·
I have not seen it either. My guess is the Op Rod would have a Defense Acceptance Stamp only if it was contracted for as an individual item. I don't recall seeing any such marking on the two WRA M14's I inspected years ago.

On another note the cast repros from Taiwan are marked with M14 markings (Not SA's op rods they use their own identifier). Evidently when the large dealer sent over a sample for duplication it was an M14 op rod.

#7 ·
mine is marked in three lines.

dod eagle

the dod eagle is about half worn away. the rod came on my SA m1a loaded that was made in 97 or 98. it doesn't appear to be cast when compared to the gas cylinder which is cast. you can see the grain of the metal much like in a garand receiver in the oprod.

i'll have to break into the spares can and see what's in there.

#9 ·
( I really have to register here)

As far as NM op-rods, I do not believe there are such for the M14, only the MI Garand.

Tom,this is not meant as an insult, but from what I have read, many 66118 op-rods without said markings, are thought to be import copies.
As the repros were of a Winchester rod.
I have had many,many Win. rods, only, with that mark ??????? Is it possible this mark was added later in the production?

I AM NOT AN AUTHORITY AS IS BILL RICCA, ONLY A FAN, OF THE M14/M1A SINCE THE LATE 70'S.

#10 ·
Aloha "guest":

Are all "66118" parts imported? I have bolts, trigger groups and op rods showing the "66118" designation... and very curious. Do you have more information on where they might have been imported from? Were these imports required to conform to US Gov't specs? I would think so, but just thinking...

I also have HRx, TRW, SAK and other op rods but no DOD stamp... hmmm...

Aloha,

Tom O.

#11 ·
No I think you misunderstood my post. The 66118 op rod is Winchester. However when tooling up to make the reproduction overseas the dealer sent a Winchester op rod. I know because one day back around 1995 I was there when a batch arrived. All were from Taiwan and had the same markings as Winchester. When items are reproduced in Asia, they usually reproduce everything including the markings.

#12 ·
Aloha Bill:

Is there any way of telling which might be a Chinese (Taiwan) copy of a Winchester op rod? Or, one that might have been imported?

I got these two from CMP, so I think they should be the real deal, but I should check anyway... if there is a discerable difference...

Do you know if the copies might be of different quality?

Thanks,

Aloha,

Tom O.

#15 ·
Great discussion here. I looked at another Winchester operating rod on one of my pre-'94 ban semi-auto M1A rifles. It has the DOD eagle stamp as well directly under the "66118." I never noticed it before due to the parkerizing. 8)

#17 ·
dighawaii, I took several photos of the operating rod markings but the flash on my digital camera is just too much. The DOD eagle marking is the same as the DOD cartouche on the stocks but just smaller. It sits directly under the "66118." Sorry. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.