M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i installed my rifle into my EBR chassis and when i look down the aperture sights i notice that the groove/rail in the top cover is slightly off center to the right, it doesn't obscure my sights or ability to aim in any way, and my front and rear sights are centered on the rifle so its not perspective between my sights being off and the groove/rail being centered.
The misalignment is about 2mm.
The top cover is a six screw, and mates perfectly with the main chassis.
I am concerned that this may hinder proper alignment of my scope when using a Sage SCSB.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Check torque on opguide screws something ain't right.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses everyone, i have tried everything.
I took the best photos that i could.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The rear sight looks to be in-line with the groove - how is your front sight attached? Flash hider? Gas lock?

Have you fired this rifle? What is the history of the barreled action?

I'd like to see a picture of the top cover removed, top-down, looking at the barrel as installed into the chassis. Additionally, one other picture that could help is a picture straight on of the muzzle using the chassis as the level for the image. Use a high depth of field for all photos if possible.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That's normal. The front sight can be drifted left or right for zeroing the rifle. By drifting the front sight you can leave the rear sight centered giving you the full range of windage adjustments.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a few more photos, as best i could get.
To answer some questions, the rifle is a Norinco M305, its not one of the old piece of $h** versions, this is one of the new production run rifles that has almost all the buga-boos ironed out.
I had this rifle in its original synthetic stock with a few tweaks and it consistently shot five round groups into half inch or better, i changed to the EBR stock because i think it looks great.
I have not fired the rifle in the EBR chassis yet.
The front sight is mounted to the flash hider, and is very well centered and staked in its dovetail.
The picture from the front of the chassis on the "business end" of the rifle shows the barreled action sitting slightly off to the left, upon inspection of the top cover - the top cover seems to be purposely machined off center with more material out to the right to accomodate the charging handle on the right of the receiver.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Is the barrel centered in the chassis?

If the bore is centered but just the front sight is off. Drift it to the center and call it done.

My next move would be mounting a scope and seeing if it will shoot straight at 25 then 100 meters.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats the thing, the barrel seems slightly off center to the left when viewed from above, the oprod guide seats right into the chassis with the barrel slightly off center as described.
If I mount my optic using a SCSB it raises the question - if i install my front and rear rings to the top cover and SCSB respectively, and the top cover rail is off center, will this then misalign my scope off center with the bore, or worse still, damage my scope?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Here is what I'd do:

Have a gunsmith check the barrel and make sure it is clocked/torqued into the receiver properly. Have them check the headspace also. Your gas cylinder appears to be canted to the side. The problem here is if the barrel shoulder was machined too far and headspace was set afterwards (with the gas port canted and barrel set into the receiver too far)... you've got major issues because you can't add metal back into the chamber. You'd be looking at machining the bolt locking lugs at that point (if I'm not mistaken).

Just eyeballing it from the pictures, the barrel IS centered within the chassis (the picture is taken at a slight angle, which gives the illusion it isn't) - but flash hider and gas cylinder are clocked wrong.

That's the best I can really do with the pictures you've posted - wish you the best of luck in getting it resolved!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Question, your op rod guide block? Is it snug around the barrel or is there a gap? Lastly, is the red dot facing the muzzle or the receiver?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Much appreciated, i think my EBR project has just run out of steam.
Red dot forward, fits around the barrel pretty snug, slots into the chassis nicely too.
I checked CHS "go", "warning", and "no go", along with a minimum bore diameter gauge with FN 7.62mm gauges, all passed, i do however see - and without a doubt agree that my gas cylinder is not timed at"six o'clock" from the barrel, i think i will be listing my chassis for sale here in a little while. Damn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts