M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now tried almost all available lubes for resizing and have decided that Imperial Wax is the best for me...and then I read somewhere that Kiwi neutral shoe polish is "as good" or better. Imperial is expensive and hard to find on a shelf around here so I end up paying as much in freight as the stuff cost.
Have you tried this? is it true?

DI2

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Bob the place where I buy my reloading supplies keeps Imperial wax in stock for around $10 (if I remember correctly) .... if you want a tin or however many, I'll be more than happy to send you the amount of tins for the postage it takes to get from my house in Florida to your house in South Carolina.

You are right, some of these places get absolutely stupid with their shipping prices.

Send me a PM if interested.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Steve Ray is making you a good offer ......great to see shooters support each other.
None of our local stores carry Imperial wax (great stuff) so I have to order it as well. I use it only on my more difficult sizing or case forming jobs. I generally use Lee water soluble sizing lube which is water soluble (wipes off with damp cloth) and available locally. A little dab works great for most sizing operations. If you get in a bind for lube Vaseline will work as well as a little smear of stp. But those do not wipe off well with a damp cloth :)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
For the last 20 years or so, I use Lee lube mixed with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and some mica power.

Spray it on the outside, and inside the necks. Let it dry and get to work. Cheap, and works well. Easy clean up too.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I use the Mink Oil from Walmarts. It works better than the Old Lee tube I used to use. Hey it's cheap and it works for me.

Reactions: m1476251

·
Registered
893 Posts
For the last 20 years or so, I use Lee lube mixed with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and some mica power.

Spray it on the outside, and inside the necks. Let it dry and get to work. Cheap, and works well. Easy clean up too.
+1 on Lee lube. I use a Lyman pad for the outside of the cases w/Lee lube, and Forester case brush with graphite on the inside of the necks.

The Lee lube is water based and wipes right off.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies...

I have tried everything mentioned except the mink oil and the mixture. I will try them and go from there.
The once fired machine gun brass is a job and I don't want to stick another case...been there , done that. Thanks for all the offers and help.DI2

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I have tried everything mentioned except the mink oil and the mixture. I will try them and go from there.
The once fired machine gun brass is a job and I don't want to stick another case...been there , done that. Thanks for all the offers and help.DI2
Well hold on a minuet! Once fired LC MG Brass is a chore! It is a different subject so check out the threads that dealt with it already.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I use Hornady Unique, it looks and smells like mink oil - it even says that it can be used to waterproof leather on the container. Whatever, it works good.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
RCBS lube on pad for batches of 500 or more. Imperial for small batches of accuracy stuff. Spray lube for 5.7 x 28.
I also use the RCBS case lube on a pad.
I would like to know how much accuracy difference do you see when using the Imperial wax? If much I might switch over to it. Not sure how that would affect my dies since I have been using RCBS lube in them for years?

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
No you haven't...................

Trust me on this when resizing once fired MG brass, use a std. FL 30.06 resizing die first, lube the case as you would normally. The 30.06 resizer only makes contact/resizes the brass just above the case head, there is a lot less brass contact friction when resizing MG fired brass in this manor. Only this area of the case is worked down and your not bumping the shoulder down at the same time in a .308 resizer. After you have run them through the 30.06 resizer, now you can run them through your normal .308 resizing die, taking care of the neck and bumping the shoulder back too where it needs be for your chamber.

Or if you like Popeye forearms, eat your spinach and do it the hard way...........

·
Registered
195 Posts
Trust me on this when resizing once fired MG brass, use a std. FL 30.06 resizing die first, lube the case as you would normally. The 30.06 resizer only makes contact/resizes the brass just above the case head, there is a lot less brass contact friction when resizing MG fired brass in this manor. Only this area of the case is worked down and your not bumping the shoulder down at the same time in a .308 resizer. After you have run them through the 30.06 resizer, now you can run them through your normal .308 resizing die, taking care of the neck and bumping the shoulder back too where it needs be for your chamber.

Or if you like Popeye forearms, eat your spinach and do it the hard way...........
Great idea!

·
Premium Member
18,859 Posts
I also use the RCBS case lube on a pad.
I would like to know how much accuracy difference do you see when using the Imperial wax? If much I might switch over to it. Not sure how that would affect my dies since I have been using RCBS lube in them for years?
Sorry about the interpretation. I don't get any better accuracy with imperial. I just tend to run small batches for my bolt rifles and they don't need very much sizing at all. The 500 and bigger are for my gas guns and they usually need more work. I have been using the RCBS routine for almost 50 years now. No stuck casings with that, but I have with others.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll second on Hornady Unique. A dab on fingers and a rub around bottom half of LC cases run into a small base die twice works for me. A q-tip application to the inside neck about every 8-10 cases keeps things smooth. A little tub of this stuff lasts forever.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have never tried it. It would be fairly inexpensive to find out if it is. I will pick up some the next time I see any. Report back if you get some before I do.
I bought some Kiwi neutral polish and tried it on some 223 cases. It was not a great success. I sized about ten cases and then went to Imperial. What a big difference. The Imperial is vastly superior. I had to apply more Kiwi to my fingers for every case and was afraid on several that they would stick in the die.

Don't bother with the Kiwi.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts