M14 Forum banner

Question for M14 builders and owners

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  diegokid 
#1 ·
Simple question I think. Is any fore and aft play in the bolt considered acceptable? If the bolt can be moved enough to actually make an audible clicking sound and can be visually observed to be moving perhaps a few thousands, is that a problem? Either cocked or uncocked? Looking for answers. Thanks!

#3 ·
By design there is a few thou clearance between the front of the bolt lugs and the breech face, which results in the axial play you can feel. Generally, I think the ejector plunger keeps the bolt firmly back against the receiver when a cartridge is in the chamber. Mel Johnson wrote extensively about in an article circa '47. (Specific to the M1). I'll see if I can dig it up.

Ive always wondered about the radial slop and how that might affect accuracy.

#6 ·
While the hammer is captured, some have a little play back and forth and some don't, it's normal either way.

When the hammer is forward, Iv'e never had a rifle where that movement didn't disappear, because the hammer nose is pressed into the cam recess in the back of the bolt and the hammer face should be resting against the firing pin leg.

Not saying that it's impossible for it to happen, just that Iv'e never had one like that. If it was real bad, the rifle may be prone to make light primer strikes.

#16 ·
M1 carbine headspaces different than a bottleneck case. Two of the three I have are the same but as you said earlier if no play when a cartridge is loaded it's good to go.

I wish I could figure out how to post a video of my 8 year old grandson shooting the M1 carbine, I don't know who enjoys it most him or me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.