M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A throwaway remark on another thread has got me wondering... someone said that old Randall sheaths seem to be worth more than the actual knives.... Well, the sheath for one of my Randalls (a Model 5) has the little snap-down knife retention strap become badly stretched, so the knife is now in constant danger of falling out. The sheath is about 30 years old and was beautifully made, and I've always hated the idea of breaking the glue and doing some crude restitching to fix the problem- in fact I've been using a leather thong to tie the knife in, meaning it is no longer quick draw accessible. My plan has been to take the sheath to a shoemaker and get it fixed professionally, but now that I know the sheaths are valuable maybe that's a bad idea? Would it be like repainting an antique table and would that ruin any collector value? I mean, I want to hand my knives down, and decades from now don't want to be the dumb old guy who wrecked the heirloom stuff.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Over the years Randall used different sheath makers. I would try to find the specific sheath maker. Randall should be able to help you with that. If they're still around contact them for an estimate on repairing their sheath. An original factory job if you will usually doesn't hurt the value that much.

Reactions: 23eagle

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is the company that makes the sheaths for Randall Made Knives:
Sullivan's Holster Shop
2521 Success Dr
Suite 1
Odessa, FL 33556
Mon.-Fri. 8:30-5:00 ET
727-376-3209

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
As a Randall owner & lover, I would suggest leave the original sheath alone & have a new one made.

HH

·
Registered
51 Posts
Call Greg at sullivan's

I have about 3 holsters made every 4 years and he is retiring soon.. he will fix it if you send it back to him or like someone else said have a new one made.. My dad still has a holster for his LAR Grizzly he made 30 years ago and it is in excellent condition.

Greg is a nice guy but hurry on before he is gone

·
Registered
20 Posts
Randall Stone Needed

I have a nice Randall that I bought new in 1966. Somehow, I have managed to lose that Carborundum Stone that was gray and had 2 grits. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Thank You,

Larry McLarty

·
Registered
51 Posts
yea

yea.. Greg is very close with the Randall guys, I suggest you call him and have him give you his contact.. He had over 30 randalls at his shop around 8 years ago and there was a fire that destroyed them all.. his guy fixed them all up good as new.. They have had a long standing relationship.

·
Registered
51 Posts
y

do you want me to run down to his shop and pick u up one before they are all gone? he has some made in his showcase

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is the company that makes the sheaths for Randall Made Knives:
Sullivan's Holster Shop
2521 Success Dr
Suite 1
Odessa, FL 33556
Mon.-Fri. 8:30-5:00 ET
727-376-3209
Thanks for this and the other suggestions. I called them and a Model A sheath for my Model 5 knife is a reasonable $50.00, with a 14 week waiting period. Being up here in the frozen north, I'm thinking it will be as well to get a whole new sheath as opposed to shipping back & forth across the now-scary border. [Model A sheath?? this is the one with the usual tan colour and the stone pouch but there was no choice at all when I bought the original.] I was concerned, so I asked & was told the original Mr Sullivan is about to retire all right, and his son is carrying on the business. No doubt that was Greg? -I forgot to ask. Anyway with the pressure off now all I have to do is find the right time to order. Neighbours who accept my shipping when I'm asay are starting to regard me in light of being a pirate or mercenary.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a nice Randall that I bought new in 1966. Somehow, I have managed to lose that Carborundum Stone that was gray and had 2 grits. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Thank You,

Larry McLarty
The Randall company sells them separately, or at least they used to. I bought a half dozen one time, to use with other knives and also to keep as spares. I've never found anything quite as good elsewhere.

·
Registered
714 Posts
+1 for a replacement from Sullivans.
Per agreement with Randall, they will not make or sell a replacement sheath with Randall Snaps unless they verify it's an actual Randall Knife.
You CAN get an exact replacement without the Randall Logos thru a phone call..so it all depends on how much extra work you want to go thru for a Randall-Branded sheath or the same thing with generic snaps and no Randall Branding.

Here's a Generic replacement they had for an old Model 14 I have:

Not too shabby at all.

·
Registered
590 Posts
+1 for Sullivan's Holster Shop.

Greg's (and his son's) last name is Gutcher. Greg bought the business years ago from Sullivan and has carried on the work for Randall.

Greg is retiring, so they won't be making any more holsters (after the last one of mine that he has in the works! DI5 ) unless his daughter picks up the craft - they haven't made that decision yet. His son is and will be continuing to make Randall sheaths.

They have a dozen or more various Randall sheaths in their showcase right now available for sale. Just depends on which model knife you have. Several of them have the sharpening stone in the sheath pouch.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 for Sullivan's Holster Shop.

Greg's (and his son's) last name is Gutcher. Greg bought the business years ago from Sullivan and has carried on the work for Randall.

Greg is retiring, so they won't be making any more holsters (after the last one of mine that he has in the works! DI5 ) unless his daughter picks up the craft - they haven't made that decision yet. His son is and will be continuing to make Randall sheaths.

They have a dozen or more various Randall sheaths in their showcase right now available for sale. Just depends on which model knife you have. Several of them have the sharpening stone in the sheath pouch.
OK so here's a question: if I order directly from the Randall website, will the sheath have the Randall snaps you speak of and the whole works???

·
Registered
290 Posts
OK so here's a question: if I order directly from the Randall website, will the sheath have the Randall snaps you speak of and the whole works???
If you order from Randall, then the replacement will have the Randall snaps and embossing. They say that they would like you to ship them your knife needing a new sheath so that it can be fitted to the replacement sheath; because as they say, each sheath is one-of-a-kind; like their knives.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
The knives are hand made so even though you can have two of the same model & length they both may not fit in the same sheath.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Over the years Randall used different sheath makers. I would try to find the specific sheath maker. Randall should be able to help you with that. If they're still around contact them for an estimate on repairing their sheath. An original factory job if you will usually doesn't hurt the value that much.
Over the years, Herman Heiser Co in Denver made the first sheaths then it went to Johnson's which was just north of Orlando. Both of these companies are long gone. Then Greg Gutcher at Sullivans. You can occasionally find original sheaths on Ebay. Heisers are a hard find, but Johnsons no so much. Sullivans will make what you need or you can get a replacement ordered through Randall or at least you used to be able to. Floyd Byrd in Orlando used to work for Randall making knives and makes a copy of the old Johnson's riveted sheath if you can locate him. He shows up occasionally on Ebay. He's getting on in years too if he's still alive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Greg's son Danny just made me a left hand sheath for my Randall #3 with 5"
blade. Price was $50.00.
How can you beat that. Their sheaths are top quality the same as the Randall knives. My Randall i carried in vietnam for five years never failed,
and the sheath is like new. I oil it about every two years and that's all i ever do to them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Greg's son Danny just made me a left hand sheath for my Randall #3 with 5"
blade. Price was $50.00.
How can you beat that. Their sheaths are top quality the same as the Randall knives. My Randall i carried in vietnam for five years never failed,
and the sheath is like new. I oil it about every two years and that's all i ever do to them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts