M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I few questions for all the m14 guru's / the vets that trained on and/or used them in the service, I have learned lots on this site, but by no means an expert. my question is when the m14 was the main battle rifle what was expected of it in terms of accuracy at varying lenths?

I had read somewhere that it had to get at least a 3 inch group at 100 yards, is this right? and what was expected of it at further lengths? lets say at 200 would it be 6 inch groups?

What was the standard qualification for the rifle/ riflemen?

and finally 3 inch groups at 100 yards is equal to 3 MOA at 100 yards right, I need to get my lingo squared away.

Thanks

CeeJay

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Sounds about right. With irons that is. Just keep up the practice.
Tonyben on youtube has a great shim video. Shimming the gas port will help with accuracy.
I would say that ammo and trigger control with breathing practice will help...before ya do anything to the rifle.

Deuces

Reactions: CeeJay

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
According to Lee Emerson's "M-14 Rifle History and Development", in order for an M-14 to be accepted by the military it was required to hold a 5.6" group at 100 yards with a 5 round group using M80 ball ammunition.

It gets better though, according to MIL-C-46931F(AR) dated 21 March 1991, M80 ammo (146 grain bullet) "...over a range of 600 yards, shall not exceed 5.0 inches..."

And then there is MIL-C-46934B (MU) dated 29 June 1965 that specifies that M118 ammo (172 grain bullet) "...fired at 600 yards, shall not exceed 3.5 inches."

Both of the MIL specs are based on the mean radii of the shots within the group so the actual group diameter would be just about three times the value that they specify. That means that the M80 ammo was supposed to produce about 2.5 MOA groups at 600 yards and the M118 ammo was supposed to produce about 1.75 MOA groups at 600 yards. How the M80 ammo met that standard is hard to believe though since Lee Emerson's book also says that testing of the rifle using M80 ball ammo "...had an average spread of 3.57" at 100 yards...", that's about 3.5 MOA at 100 yards.

So the actual accuracy spec for the rifle depends on what ammo was used to test it but a lot of people agree that 3 MOA out to 5 or 600 yards was probably pretty reasonable since that would be about Minute of Man sized groups (around 15 - 18 inches which is about the width of a man's chest).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thanks for the info, so as it appears now my old norc is pretty much mil spec on the range using surplus norc m80 ball ammo, I steadily get 3 inch groups at 100 yards, but at 200 yards I noticed the spread was was almost double that but I have only shot at 300 yards a few times my club only goes out to 300 and have not really tried to get constant groups out there, I definitely need to practice on my breathing control and trigger control. my rifle is no tack driver but seems to be on track for basic standards so I am happy with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts