M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my picks for a new stock for my 22" inch to either the Troy SSAS, or the JAE G2. Both manufactures products seem rock solid, but I have only experienced the EBR personally. Would anyone here be willing to offer me some first hand testimony? Perhaps someone who has time behind both platforms? My main interest is stability, accuracy, and toughness. When I go out into the green I tend to stay a while. I need something that will get dirty and gritty with me, still give me groups of 2 or 3 inches and not need replacement every few seasons. I know my M14 is will be with me as long as I am able to carry it, but I don't want to regret spending a grand and a half on something that looks nice, but is better left as a weekend range rifle. As always, thank you in advance for your time and your expertise.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I just switched from a JAE to a Sage Mod 1. The JAE is nice but on the heavy side. The EBR is noticeably lighter and if Uncle Sugar is issuing them it must be pretty tough. The Troy is also on the heavy side and you lose the iron sights which is something I won't sacrifice. Of the two I'd say JAE for accuracy and because it's a drop in setup.

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
You know what I'm going to say -- JAE (and it's Gen III now) no need to glass bed, improves accuracy, allows use of scope or irons with QD cheek piece.

·
Registered
448 Posts
im in the same boat as the OP trying to decide on the sage or the jae
noexpert what made you switch to the sage setup over the jae
i no you had a nice rig in the jae

·
Registered
17 Posts
From what I was told,
narrower front end, A way to set the cheek riser so it is solid once adjusted.
Those are two Items I know from the visit I had with Lisa...
I am so on the fence with JEA and Troy MCS it hurts.
I have a battle rail coming to tide mo over till I decide.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
im in the same boat as the OP trying to decide on the sage or the jae
noexpert what made you switch to the sage setup over the jae
i no you had a nice rig in the jae
A few things... weight was #1, 20 pounds of rifle on your back about an hour into a hike can get to be a bit much. The Sage took off a few pounds which is nice. Instant adjustable LOP via the CTR stock since changing spacers isn't always a viable option when changing shooting positions. On board storage via the Vltor Mil-Spec extension tube with storage space. Just remove the stock (no tools required) and unscrew the water-tight cap on the end. Standard rails at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock; 3, 6 and 9 o'clock rails are removable. Barrel tensioner built into the hand guard, works similar to the JAE tensioner but presses down on the barrel instead of pulling the front band down (standard item).

Additional things I considered between the Sage Mod 1 and the Troy... Military issue item, this means it had to pass some tests somewhere along the line (nice to have that thought). Retains the original iron sights (huge factor). Weighs less (huge factor). Works with an LRB M25 receiver with minimal fitting (the battle rail needs the scope mount side hole that the M25 doesn't have, huge factor). Cost, cheapest similar Troy to the Mod 1 is $20 more (and the Mod 1 came with a Troy modular VFG). Cheapest comparable Troy to the Mod 0 is $190 more (not overly important but something I looked at). Grip compatibility, minor fitting to get a Magpul MIAD large back strap on the Sage, looked like there would be a gap on the Troy (I could be wrong on that).

Some things I don't like about the Sage... I have to take 8 screws out of the stock and loosen one to remove the action. So far this has been the only downside but is minor since I don't feel compelled to take my rifle apart a lot. I'd say it's less of a nuisance than trying to get the lug slides into my receiver while trying to hold it all then slide it into the JAE which inevitably I'd drop one and have to start all over.

My best advice, think about what you plan to use the rifle for. If this is going to be a medium or heavy barreled bench rifle by all means go with the JAE or Troy. Personally I'd take the JAE since the accuracy it provided was amazing. If you plan to run a standard or medium contour barrel and take the rifle further than from the trunk to the bench I'd say go with a Sage Mod 1.

Don't take this as JAE hate, I loved my JAE setup, until I had to carry my rifle for any length of time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
NOEXPERT thanks for all the info and a lot of insight
i have been leaning to the sage mod 0 but i want a WMMW barrel and dont know about the fit
i am getting the WMMW 18" barrel regardless of what stock i get
the main advantage for me would be the sage mod 0 has the collapseable stock
im not conserned about the weight of the gun just as long as it is accurate and usable
but i do love the looks of the JAE

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
NOEXPERT thanks for all the info and a lot of insight
i have been leaning to the sage mod 0 but i want a WMMW barrel and dont know about the fit
i am getting the WMMW 18" barrel regardless of what stock i get
the main advantage for me would be the sage mod 0 has the collapseable stock
im not conserned about the weight of the gun just as long as it is accurate and usable
but i do love the looks of the JAE
The WMMW barrel has a proprietary op rod guide. Given the space allowed in the Sage and the size of the guide I'd say it would be a no go. Best to go with the JAE for that setup.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The WMMW barrel has a proprietary op rod guide. Given the space allowed in the Sage and the size of the guide I'd say it would be a no go. Best to go with the JAE for that setup.
thanks for your reply i just spoke with JYWOLF about this and he gave me the same news
i knew the oprod guid was a issue just hoped there might be a fix maybe a new guide set up to work with both the barrel and the stock bolt setup

wishfull thinking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I havent seen it mentioned, but can I take away from this compare and contrast that the Troy would require glass bedding?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I havent seen it mentioned, but can I take away from this compare and contrast that the Troy would require glass bedding?
No, none of the stocks I mentioned need glass bedding. That was one of the key things I was looking for since I'm not a fan of bedding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that does it for me then, unless anyone here has a horror story I am going to place my order with troy industries. Im more than sure all the stock options that have been discussed are more than worth their salt, or they wouldnt be praised so highly by so many shooters here in the forums. My muscle memory lies in the realm of the M4, which will give me an off the bat advantage and not require hours I dont have available to me retraining myself without the benefit of an instructor. My thanks to all of you for your information and expertise. I look forward to sharing more on the build, and more importantly the results as parts come in and rounds are sent down range.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i would say JAE for sniper duty and Troy for a run and gun type of thing. mounting optics might be easier with the Troy though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What about the McCann carbon fiber stock?? Supposed to be lighter then even a normal stock but extremely reliable and heavy duty.. Anyone had any bad experiences with this and that's why its not even being mentioned??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All parts and work complete. (minus bipod, apparently atlas bipods vanish while shipping) Going to the range tomorrow morning... More to come.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Keep us updated on how you are getting along in your transition to your new stock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am so on the fence with JEA and Troy MCS it hurts.
I have a battle rail coming to tide mo over till I decide.
You do realize that you have just limited yourself to the Troy stock system, right? I do not think the JAE will be compatible with your rail system, at all.

Part of the Troy Battle Rail mounting system clamps around the M14 gas system in such a way that would preclude one from mating it with the JAE stock, if I am not mistaken.

Also, to use iron sights, and any magnified or non-magnified optics with the Battle Rail, you will need an extremely high cheek riser, such as the Troy MCS, which mimics that of the AR rifle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts