M14 Forum banner

Question: Any thoughts about CMI's 20 round stainless mags?

1177 7
Hello!

44Mag offers both regular and stainless steel 20 round M14 mags. Does anybody have experience with the stainless mags? If so, what are your thoughts?

I've been slowly picking up other standard steel USGI mags, but sometimes these magazines will live in a non-temperature controlled environment. Originally I was going to have the magazines coated, but stainless steel looks like a great option.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Sincerely,

Mike
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
I own five of them just due to them being stainless. Had them painted by my best friend who does cerakoting in coyote tan which was my plan before purchase.

Mine work great. Never had a problem with them at any time.

· Registered
1,649 Posts
I got two or three of them. The follower is teflon coated. Shiny silver color which I will leave as is.

· Registered
877 Posts
I just buy the standard / Parkerized mags and take them apart when I get them. Then I soak them in Barricade overnight, wipe them off, and reassemble.

I'm with others on here. Shiny is bad. If you are looking for corrosion resistance ... just soak it in Barricade and it will be good to go.

I trust Barricade with all of my firearms. Ive been using it for 8+ years due to the environment that I often hunt and shoot in. I live in the heart of the Ohio River Valley which is often likened to a 'fish bowl' when it comes to humidity and moisture. I have NEVER had a firearm rust since using Barricade and I've hunted in the pouring rain, and in the foggiest of conditions.

· Registered
67 Posts
I just buy the standard / Parkerized mags and take them apart when I get them. Then I soak them in Barricade overnight, wipe them off, and reassemble.

I'm with others on here. Shiny is bad. If you are looking for corrosion resistance ... just soak it in Barricade and it will be good to go.

I trust Barricade with all of my firearms. Ive been using it for 8+ years due to the environment that I often hunt and shoot in. I live in the heart of the Ohio River Valley which is often likened to a 'fish bowl' when it comes to humidity and moisture. I have NEVER had a firearm rust since using Barricade and I've hunted in the pouring rain, and in the foggiest of conditions.
How do you use Barricade on your firearms, i.e. completely strip down, clean, apply barricade, let dry and perform normal lubrication, re-assemble?

I am not familiar with the product, but I did google it. It sounds like a good product.

· Registered
877 Posts
How do you use Barricade on your firearms, i.e. completely strip down, clean, apply barricade, let dry and perform normal lubrication, re-assemble?

I am not familiar with the product, but I did google it. It sounds like a good product.
For the initial application I spray it on all metal parts and let it soak in for a minute, wipe it off with an old rag, and let it air dry. It's like WD40 without the BAD stuff for guns that WD40 has. It doesn't take much. Plus ... it smells pretty good.

For a 'freshen up' application after shooting I just wipe the metal down with a rag and Ballistol (my cleaner of choice) and get it dry before reapplying Barricade. It's not hard to work with. You really can't go wrong. If you can spray CLP on metal you can handle Barricade. It just creates an invisible film in the pores and on the surface.

I started out using it exclusively for stopping rust on my forced rust 'Rust Brown' flintlock barrel builds several years ago, and never stopped using it. Now I keep several cans on hand. I will add that it gives a nice uniform lustre to any blued surface. That nice, rich, shiny finish that a lot of us look for. With Parkerized guns it keeps it from looking so 'dry' and more of a uniform color.

I will note that I just use Barricade on all 'outside' metal parts like barrel, outside receiver, trigger guard, etc ... I don't use it as a lube, but rather a protectant.

· Registered
2,400 Posts
Never heard of the stuff I checked out the MSDS
It contains no silicone I am putting getting some on tomorrow's bucket list

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.