M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Socom that was built around 2006... one of the earlier ones. The XS front sight broke at the clamp, and the nice people at Springfield sent me a new one under warranty. I installed the new sight... and now the rifle shoots something like 18" high at 50yds. The only thing I can think of is there is a different (newer) version of the XS FS assembly that is shorter, or it's intended for a different model (Scout, etc...) I discarded the broken sight already... so I can't compare height between the two. I have an email into SAI, but I thought I would axe here to see if anyone is immediately aware of any differences.

·
Registered
12,863 Posts
There are 2 different tritium sight heights for the Socom. A standard one and a taller one, for Socoms that shoot high. Your original may have been the taller version and the replacement the shorter one.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A standard one and a taller one, for Socoms that shoot high.
That's a regular enough event they make a second dimension sight? Jeepers....

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
XS SOCOM II Tritium
The one on the left is the stock one at .0725 inches tall.
The one on the right measures .800 inches tall.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XS SOCOM II Tritium
The one on the left is the stock one at .0725 inches tall.
The one on the right measures .800 inches tall.
View attachment 449645

As a follow up... SAI sent me another FSP. The invoice states that it's a .800" sight, but a) it's the same height as the 1st new one they sent me, and b) measured from base to top of sight post... it's .725". The baggie it came in was not marked in any way. My question is... is the sight measurement from the base to the top of the sight blade, or the OAL height of the sight itself? I want to make sure my ducks are in a row before I contact SAI, again.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a follow up to my follow up, in case anyone is interested... SAI came through, finally, with a .800" XS front sight. It took a bit of doing, but I've got it.

Moral of the story: If you need a replacement FSP for your Socom, make sure you measure it before ordering a new one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts