M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some RG from 93 and it functions in my m14 quiet well. On the other hand, a buddy's FAL absolutely NOT cycle with this ammo. We went through all the GS adjustments, cleaned and lubes everything properly, still no go.

Any theories as to why this will work for me and not him? This is all de-linked ammo, would that have any affect on function?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Stupid question, but: does his FAL cycle with other ammo? :)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, bullet weights from 147-168 gr, varying surplus lots, portuguese and DAG among others, commercial Hornady and Winchester .308.
We really can't figure it out.

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
Maybe the powder has degraded and the rounds have lost some punch. A chronograph would tell you in comparison to other surplus like DAG and Port.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
It is possible the powder has degraded however not Probable
Point my 63 HXP is still where it should be , My 55 AYR Armor piercing is still going through 3/4" / 7/8 " rail road steel from my M1's
So it is a mystery for me.Oh Wait you still have a better battle rifle

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rib him that you have the best battle rifle in the world and he doesn't......

First thing I did!

wanna hear a good one? some dude who works at LGS offered to trade me, even, for his FAL several years ago. I don't go there any more because of that.
I think I'm just going to tell my buddy that none of the experts could figure it out. At least I got my ammo back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
RG has been cleaner for me than South African, but after 200 rounds of SA, my FAL wouldn't cycle. Suggest he get the piston out and clean it....that' what gummed mine up. If that's not it, then I have no other suggestions.

Reactions: conditionone

·
Registered
104 Posts
Put the thing on top of the gas selector don't know what is called and rotate 180 degrees. Fal can be semi or bolt by changing that piece 180 degrees. Dont know what it's called but holds piston and spring

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.