M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my Poly and it is almost unfired. Looks like it was never greased or oiled. Bolt roller is absolutely dry. Not sure if this means it was never lubed or somebody cleaned in an ultrasonic bath...

Anyway, I'll take care of that. I bought a couple headspace gauges (yeah, the cheap ones). Stripped bolt will not come close to closing on the field gauge which I take to mean its not been fired much.

I disassembled the bolt with my M1 Garand tool but now I'm having a hard time getting it back together. The two springs in the bolt are super hard to depress. I cannot get it done by myself. So, my question is: Should I replace the Poly springs with ones from a Garand (which I know I can compress) or cut a tiny little bit off the Poly springs until I can get this thing back together?

Or is there some other way of doing it??

Thanks,
Hank

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,116 Posts
Bolt

M1 springs won't fit the M14 bolt with the exception of the extractor plunger assembly. The best thing to do would be to purchase a bolt tool from Brownell's or Fulton. It will make easy work of it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I saw the spring difference...well, I had to break down and buy a bolt tool for the Carbine...might as well do it for the M1A
Thanks,
Hank

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Cut the head off a 308 shell about an inch long, drill a hole the size of the outside of the case ,about 3/8" deep in a workbench or block of wood. Put ejector in place and firing pin, put wrist against your hip and push the bolt on the case head with the ejector close to the bottom edge of case head, it will depress, take a punch that fits in the extractor hole and push in from the bottom, ..release easily and now all you have to do is replace extractor spring and plunger, start extractor into hole, get some channel locks, a piece of leather and wrap it on top and bottom of extractor, and squeeze it quick...it will push the punch out that holds the spring collapsed, and push the extractor in place....the ******* way...watch out for flying springs if you slip off the case head, that's why I like a bench, if it slips off, the bench holds it fast and still, till you can reset and try again....once you practice a few times, it is real easy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Get you a USGI ejector and ejector spring and extractor spring and it will go back together just as easy as your M1.
The Chinese springs are muuuuch longer than USGI .You will damage the Chinese springs trying to get them back in if not carefull .
a empty 30.06 shell works great in the chamber of the 7.62 rifle to reassemble the bolt also and is much cheaper than a bolt tool .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Actually, I did use a piece of brass stuck in my vise, padded pliers and a neighbor to get it back in. If I keep the rifle, I will definitely get some USGI parts.
I just found another greasey roll of something in the stock. I guess I'll unwrap the two rolls and see what's inside....hope I don't unleash some ancient oriental demon.....GI1

Thanks again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Get you a USGI ejector and ejector spring and extractor spring and it will go back together just as easy as your M1.
The Chinese springs are muuuuch longer than USGI .You will damage the Chinese springs trying to get them back in if not carefull .
a empty 30.06 shell works great in the chamber of the 7.62 rifle to reassemble the bolt also and is much cheaper than a bolt tool .
What mike said.. Chinese spring are longer and require three hands, or some mad skills, I do it with a punch in the extractor hole as a slave pin..but a small vise also works.. as far as lube grease that chicom gun up good.. B2B

·
Registered
30 Posts
As we shoot quite a few norcs an polys up here due to the fact that we can buy them pretty cheap we have learned by playin with them (an if we screw up something just buy another of them) One thing that really helps is to trim off three coils off the ejector spring an two coils off the extractor spring then they go back together pretty easy
USGI parts are like hens teeth up here so we have learned to make due an modify what needs tinkered with an then we're good to go.
Hope this helps some
Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts