M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read here that this is o.k. as long as the rifle performs fine, which both of mine do, but at least one rifle has firing pin strikes that are a little off center.

My question is what causes this? Both my rifles are LRB's with USGI bolts. I am just curious as to how the strike is not always dead center. The chambered round is not moving so it must be the bolt / cartridge interface that is not perfect. Is the extractor pushing the cartridge "up" off center a little? Is there that much movement that is normal?

I am not concerned, just curious!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Firing Pin

Another possible scenario in addition to those you mentioned is the case pocket primer recess is not perfectly centered. I've plenty of used brass with this condition. If it's not every single round you fire being off center, I'd lean towards the case being the culprit.

The other possibility that comes to mind is the bolt firing pin hole being out of round or it may have a larger diameter than it should.

I have read here that this is o.k. as long as the rifle performs fine, which both of mine do, but at least one rifle has firing pin strikes that are a little off center.

My question is what causes this? Both my rifles are LRB's with USGI bolts. I am just curious as to how the strike is not always dead center. The chambered round is not moving so it must be the bolt / cartridge interface that is not perfect. Is the extractor pushing the cartridge "up" off center a little? Is there that much movement that is normal?

I am not concerned, just curious!

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Leadbug, just give 'em a call for a return.....
Oops, I think I said that before.

(Sorry Leadbug, I hate it when my little mean streak pops out DI5)

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha Ha! I would not even think about returning these babies! They shoot like a dream. I just notice all the quirky things about everything, and always ask questions.

My inquiry has been known to annoy people, but I generally learn a lot.DI5

As a matter of fact, I looked at the firing pin hole, and it does not look larger, but whatever- who knows?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
There's some things we're just not meant to know friend GI2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts