M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will there be any issues if I modify a NM 595 aperture to have the same peep size. or maybe a tiny bit smaller, as a standard aperture. It will be going on a accurized battle rifle type build. Better, smoother trigger, shimmed gas cylinder, and general tuning to make it more accurate while trying to keep it tough and not as sensitive as a full NM build. I am also looking for more info on Mr. Wolfe's alignment bedding. If it will help stabilize the rifle for consistency but still be able to field strip it without worry of loosening the bedding. Any knowledge about this type bedding will be most helpful.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read lots of his post and purchased a few things from him. I git a reduced aperture for a standard sight, like a M1 NM aperture but easier to find and cheaper. I will see what his thoughts are. Thanks for reminding me about Shooting Sight.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have read lots of his post and purchased a few things from him. I git a reduced aperture for a standard sight, like a M1 NM aperture but easier to find and cheaper. I will see what his thoughts are. Thanks for reminding me about Shooting Sight.
I got the reduced .052" standard aperture and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
So you're talking about slightly increasing the size of the aperture from 595 to about 650 (or whatever).

The main problem will be keeping the center of the hole in same place so the 1/2 moa elev hood still works properly. And also finishing the edges of the aperture to remove burrs.

This would be done most precisely with a tiny reamer - I think using a drill bit would be trouble.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
IMHO, the tradeoffs are:
more precision with a smaller aperture, but not as quick for target acquisition
low light performance is diminished with a smaller aperture
For a battle rifle,many advocate a very large aperture, "Ghost Ring", training to focus on the front sight only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts