M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a long history of working with CAD, and CNC Mills/Lathes, as well as building Air-Rifles, back in the 1980s (and some very minor work on a couple of firearms as well).

And I have built all kinds of custom stocks, from the 80s to mid-90s, when I had an "accident" (re: among other things, got shot) that left me near dead for around a decade.

But I've recently discovered a few things that would probably make for popular Items for anything Garand-based.

And I wanted to return to making custom stocks, since I have the occasional access to CAD-CAM Mills, plus a full-time access to a litany of CAD, 3D Sculpting, and Physical Simulation software applications, that would allow me to make quite complex stocks (both decorative and functional - I have had a few friends wonder about doing things like creating a "19th Century/Steampunk" style stock for an AR, for instance).

And the last thing that came to mind was creating an actual "Mini-14" that was much more similar to the M-14/1A in both appearance and function than the Ruger of the same name, which is really the step-child of the M1 Carbine and the M-14.

I have blueprints for most of the main parts of the M-14 (and M1) (You can order them from NARA). And looking at the Mini-14, there are substantial corners cut on the Receiver, Barrel, and the Short-Stroke Piston when compared to the M-14/1A.

But having never designed an outright firearm, I am not sure what sort of accommodations would need to be made to re-scale the M-14 Receiver and bolt to the .223, or smaller calibers popular in the Mini-14.

But I am wondering where to start on this (aside from having to get all of the ATF paperwork out of the way once actual creation of a prototype begins), and it would be good to talk to actual smiths about shrinking the long-stroke piston gas system, bolt, and receiver so that it is nearly an identical copy of the M-14/1A, save chambered in .223, or similar rounds (i.e. could use the same iron-sights on the receiver, and isomorphic geometry, save for size).

MB

·
Super Moderator
11,149 Posts
ahhhh, where was the question about gunsmiths in Texas? It sounds like you want too become a Manufacturer......

Reactions: mic52
1 - 4 of 4 Posts