M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - yesterday I had two Failure To Eject events. I am shooting a relativly "new" M1A. I bought it from a guy on a local board - appeared to be a "new in box" "Loaded" standard model with the hooded rear sight and NH spring rod added. Took it over to Phil Arrington who checked it out and said all looked good.

I've put about 200 rounds of commercial ammo through it (150 gr stuff from Sportsmans etc...) without any issues. The 2 FTEs were 2 of my first 20 handloads. They were:
* resized, once-fired, 308 cases, cleaned primer pockets, tumbled clean etc...
* 39.0 grains of IMR-4895
* Winchester WLR primer
* 165 Gr Remington Accutips (long story - should have just bought the 168 Gr MKs)...
* OAL 2.800"

I was working off of Lyman 49's recommendations for this combo which ranges from 38 Gr to 43.2Gr of 4895.

The cases were free in the chamber - I put a rod down the bore and they came out without an resistance. The rims on both cartridges were in normal shape - there was no deformaton that I could see. Any thoughts on why I would see FTEs with this and not with the commercial loads?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Maybe the cases were sized too much and the extractor didn't snap over the rims.
When you had the rifle checked, did you get a measurement of the actual chamber headspace dimension?
(this probably wouldn't be done as part of a quick 'does it look ok' inspection..)

The 39gr load should be plenty to operate the rifle.

I'd begin by adjusting the FL-sizing die to do less sizing.
If just a 'little less' sizing makes the bolt bind when it is slowly closed or opened, then sizing is NOT the problem.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay. He gauged the headspace and noted that it was "good" but did not offer a number (and I did not ask). On this next batch I'll open that up a touch and I'll do a more comprehensive set of measurements on the case. Thanks a bunch... makes sense.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
fail

What is the headstamp on your brass....I use 40 grs. of IMR 4064 in my LC-05 brass for 168 gr. poly tips. The book calls for 41.5 for a commercial brass and a bolt gun as starting load. I opted for 40 grs. because of reduced capacity of the LC mil. brass. ...This load functions flawlessly and deadly accurate....I too believe you have full length sizing issues....or a dirty chamber that happened at the same time you decided to try your reloads....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the headstamp on your brass....I use 40 grs. of IMR 4064 in my LC-05 brass for 168 gr. poly tips. The book calls for 41.5 for a commercial brass and a bolt gun as starting load. I opted for 40 grs. because of reduced capacity of the LC mil. brass. ...This load functions flawlessly and deadly accurate....I too believe you have full length sizing issues....or a dirty chamber that happened at the same time you decided to try your reloads....
It was once fired PMC brass...

I have a few hundred pieces of once fired LC brass - I'll be working through those down the line.

I picked up a case gauge yesterday (it is a blessing and curse to live in the same town as Dillon Precision - it is WAY to easy to drive over there and hand them money...) and while I won't know for sure until I get my sizing die back in there - it does look like I may have slightly compressed the shoulder on the cases. A couple of my test cases were a couple thousandths short from shoulder to base. We'll see here shortly.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Also be careful about how much lube is used on the cases.
The amount of lube affects how much the case is resized.
Too much lube on the shoulder area will cause 'shoulder dimples'.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts