M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was interested in picking up a M14F Rockola but I saw they sold out from classic firearms. I have a M1A scout squad which is decent but I was disappointed with the faulty receiver I received before Springfield fixed their shoddy QC (pin hole void in the receiver and spur of metal stripped at the rear of the receiver). Now my barreled receiver is fine but the bolt which has less than 500 rounds through it has streaks of parkerization taken off the top.

The rifle fires fine and but I am considering a JRA M14F instead, my question was about the USGI parts drying up and the availability of similar quality Bula parts. I have seen a post where someone from Bula Forge indicated that many USGI equivalent parts will be for sale eventually but I have yet to see any listed with prices anywhere. I was considering picking up a barreled JRA receiver with bolt, but I wanted to know the possibility of finding Bula parts to complete the build or not. The other possibility was buying parts from LRB to finish the build, LRB has the gas system, oprod, trigger assembly and rear sight plus more available would those be comparable to USGI parts?

What are the chances of me having issues assembling the op rod guide, gas system etc.; if I purchase LRB parts to go with the JRA receiver?
To finish off my build I was considering a Jon Wolfe USGI fiberglass modified stock, and if necessary having him tune the trigger assembly etc.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
It is my understanding that Bula intends to have and online store up and running during September. Their parts are worth waiting for.
You might ask James River about Bula parts as they are in constant contact.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Now my barreled receiver is fine but the bolt which has less than 500 rounds through it has streaks of parkerization taken off the top.
The parkerizing on my bolt is streaked on my JRA DMR21. It is a none issue.

botlaudio

Reactions: bustedknuckles

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, I understand the wear on my bolt may be normal but I am not sure. I have seen people on this site with way more shooting done and still a better condition bolt. SAI has good customer service but I don't get how they sell an M14 reciever with a hole that I could literally stick a toothpick in. I can assure you I have maintained this rifle with Lubriplate 130-A and cleaning after every range trip almost.....

I am a mechanical engineer and I understand the benefits of the hammer forge process that JRA,LRB and BULA go through, when compared to investment cast parts which I can clearly see are not up to par from my own personal experience.
I just do not understand how I could justify trusting my life or anything to this rifle when it comes from the factory with a defect like that. I would rather spend the extra money and get a forged receiver that won't be littered with defects or soft as butter. I will probably keep the M1A Scout and continue to shoot it, but I get nervous when I look at my new receiver and see surface pitting in the same spot that hole was in.....

My dad will gladly accept the rifle but I wanted something that would last a life time if maintained properly and I don't think SAI M1A's are that.

I tried to reach Jeff at Bula forge but he was not there....will keep trying and I shot him an email. I will keep researching before I buy anything though haha.GI5

·
Registered
959 Posts
I understand the wear on my bolt may be normal but I am not sure.
I have 3 M1A/M14's My SAI shows some streaks on the bolt at least 2500 rounds , JRA DMR21 has streaks on the bolt about 1500 rounds and the LRB M25 with TRW bolt park is wearing off on the top of the lugs and top of the upper radius on the front of the bolt about 800 rounds.
You are going to see finish wear on a bolt.
Remember its a battle rifle you are going to have a tough time keeping the finish on the bolt pristine especially if you shot it.

If you are concerned about cosmetic wear get all your components black nitrided.

I have a Bula receiver and bolt that has been black nitrided being build into a complete rifle. We shall see how this finish holds up under use.

Good Luck
botlaudio

·
Forum Jester
8,198 Posts
poor quality control,but nothing that will impede function or safety.hole was probably from a piece of sand or small air bubble.get rid if that piece of metal hanging,and enjoy the rifle.
the hole is in a safe,non structural area.if it was around the lugs,that would be a concern.

Reactions: AFCoulthard

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
That looks bad.

What the hell is going on at SAI? I love my Loaded, it's been essentially flawless since I bought it 19 years ago, but it's getting embarrassing to say I have an M1A now.

SAI... are you listening? I'm a totally satisfied customer, but I'm not so sure I'd buy another SAI product.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
botlaudio, thank you for telling me your experience with said wear and for suggesting black nitride finishing. I have been in contact with Bula Forge and they told me they will be setting up there e-store around October, sweet! So I may consider doing a black nitride finish also.

Yea I would not be surprised Buelligan if your 19 year old rifle has vastly superior QC and workmanship put into it compared to a modern M1A. I was aware that the hole was not in a structural area but it doesnt matter to me, it is unacceptable to pay so much for a rifle and find issues like that. The fact that hammer forged receivers will by nature have less internal and surface microvoids, aswell as a better aligned (true grain flow) grain structure; makes them preferable to me as a mechanical engineer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.