M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make one more build of the M14 platform. I was concidering using a BM-59 Folding stock (Springfield type with 2 bar buttstock) or an EBR (with retractable buttstock). How easy is it to adapt a M1A to the BM-59 stock? What kind of accuracy would I get with the BM-59? Weight wise, which would be lighter? How easy (though I have read about it here) is the EBR to adapt? I read on this forum that EBR's are hard to clean around. Are there any secrets about cleaning an EBR?

I would appreciate hearing from the people who have the BM-59 stocks on their M1A's on fitting & accuracy for this is more "old school" which I like to try. This rifle would also be my truck, backpacking, etc.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Is this the one you are talking about??

http://m14forum.com/px/92426-bm-m1a-m14-folding-stock-spf.html

If it is, they were made by Springfield specially for the M1A and there is no adaptation involved, they drop right in. The BM 59 stock differs in fit and I do not know how they adapt.

This particular stock was sold some time ago and is just for ID purposes in the picture.

Reactions: Dirtyharry

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I converted a BM59 stock to M1A. It's pretty easy, one bolt if I remember right. Reese Surplus still sells the M1A wood forearm to replace the shorter BM59 wood.
I thought Reese was out of business. If you have a link I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If it is, they were made by Springfield specially for the M1A and there is no adaptation involved, they drop right in. The BM 59 stock differs in fit and I do not know how they adapt.

This particular stock was sold some time ago and is just for ID purposes in the picture.
Yep! This is the one/type I am looking for. Wish I had known about this back then. But what I want to know is how's the accuracy with these stocks? What's the recoil like form these stocks? I would like someone to comment on these topics. I would like to get 1st hand experence from a current owner of one of these stocks.

I appreciate all of you guys feedback on this. And if you know where I could get one please post or send me the link to it.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Yep! This is the one/type I am looking for. Wish I had known about this back then. But what I want to know is how's the accuracy with these stocks? What's the recoil like form these stocks? I would like someone to comment on these topics. I would like to get 1st hand experence from a current owner of one of these stocks.

I appreciate all of you guys feedback on this. And if you know where I could get one please post or send me the link to it.
I have a SAI Scout dropped into the 'Reese' BM-59 stock...

(the Reese stocks are still out there in private party's hands...they show up every now and again, even here on the Forum..)

Accuracy? MANY, but not all the Folding Stocks Have Some 'wobble' issues...
I personally don't think virtually any 'folder' can be as steady a plaform as a completely solid stock.

Recoil? I am not real recoil-sensitive, but again I think virtually any folder is going to transmit more 'felt recoil' than a solid stock.

And, speaking for myself, I would not put a full-length M1A in a Folding Stock...but, a Scout, yes...

I have a variety of folders, AK, M1 Carbine, M16-Clone, 870's...'others...
I like them, they are FUN...
But I would not claim any of them are the 'be all and end all' of weaponry...

The Good News is...You Can Always Change Your Mind And Swap Your M1A Out And Into A DIFFERENT STOCK !

GI1

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My very first M1A years ago was a Scout in a BM59 folding stock. This is what I remember about it, narrow, hard rubber butt plate that was somewhat painful to shoot, lots of cool factor. I no longer have this stock but sometimes wish I had kept it, I do believe it is better for looking at than shooting. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
In all honesty....I like both of configurations.

I say you may have two builds instead of one GI2more.

Good luck in your quest.DI5

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pics anyone?

Thread is useless without completed pics!!!!!

You were asking for pics, well RET DEP 04 hit it right on the head with this thread.

How does the EBR stock with a retractable buttstock hold up? Does the EBR have a tendency to wobble? Is that retractable part rigid/durable enough to hold up to alot of abuse? I like to hear from the guys who own one. Is it really worth it to own one?

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Well guess what, I currently have a M1A-A1 Bush Rifle manufactured in 1987 equiped with the original SA BM-59 style folding stock. I have also had the action in a EBR M14ALCS/CV (collapsible style) stock.

I used the folding stock for a couple of years and did not find it uncomfortable to use. It made the Bush rifle very transportable if you know what I mean. I didn't find the recoil anymore pronounced than with a fiberglass stock. Which is what I moved the action to originally to preserve the BM-59 style stock since they are scarce. A couple of things I have wanted to try and may do in the future is add an extra piece of rubber to the butt and add some pipe insulation to the metal rail to aid with comfort and cheek weld. Accuracy in the stock was what you could expect from a standard M1A shooting good quality ammo.

The EBR, I used a Magpul ACS stock with the lock device so the stock was not lose and did not raddle on the buffer tube. With some tuning and good ammo it shot 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Understand I'm a old guy and never was real muscular. I do work out 3 days a week to stay in shape and I found the EBR heavy. By the time you add a good stock, a optic mount, an optic,a 20 round mag and whatever else the darn thing is heavy. Works as advertised with some tuning, however it was just to heavy for what I wanted, I sold the stock and LaRue mount.

I currently have gone a different direction than the M1A platform and so far I'm liking what I have done. That said the stock and rifle in original config is up for sale in the PX. I will not link to the ad here because my intention was not really to plug it.

If it does not sale (in no hurry) and I keep it here is what I might try but. I hate to alter it because there are so few of these left in original shape. See if I can get a Scout mount for the barrel, add that and a Eotech or Aimpoint T1 and leave it in the folding stock and call it quits. Add an better rubber butt pad and some foam pipe insulation to the stock metal. It will be about as light and as comfortable as it's going get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.