M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Something weird/bad happened with my Springfield M1A standard at the range yesterday. I bought the rifle new from Springfield less than a year ago and I've put around 250 rounds through it so far. Yesterday I was re-zeroing at 100 yds with PPU FMJ 145 gr. and after about 20 rounds, it stopped and failed to eject an empty case.

What happened, as far as I could tell, was that during recoil, the op rod handle jumped out of the receiver... and when it came forward, it jammed against the bolt bearing at an angle. I field stripped the rifle and with a little pressure was able to force the op rod forward out of contact with the bolt, so that I could then remove both. I put it back together and it seems to work smoothly, but I did not fire it again for fear that the op rod handle had been bent (although I could not visually see any bend in it.)

Has anyone seen this type of jam before? (I searched a bit, but didn't find anything quite the same.) Is it likely that it would have damaged my op rod? And do you suppose it was from an over-powered round? The works were greased, but pretty thinly. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

(and by the way, I just sold my SAR K2 .45 and replaced it with a CZ 97BD. I've gotta say, it's thee sweetest .45 I've ever fired. I absolutely LOVE it.)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The weapon will need to be returned to Springfield, Inc.

The only time I have seen an oprod come out of the track is when the oprod tab is well worn.... You could have either an out of spec receiver or an out of spec oprod.

I would question the QC department when I spoke with Springfield on Monday morning....

Hobo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight! Yeah, wear is certainly not the issue here, so I'll bet you are right. The manual cycling has never felt as smooth as I would expect, so I wouldn't be surprised if something were out of spec.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
A loose or misaligned op rod guide can cause the same problem. Sometimes a mistimed barrel can be the cause of op rods jumping out of the track too.

Reactions: Lazerus2000

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
That can also happen during single loading if you push the oprod 'handle' up or down as you pull it back to feed a round from the mag.

Something might be worn out of spec, but my guess is that if you are careful to pull the oprod straight back, and then release - it won't happen.

The fitting of the tab on the oprod and the dismount area of the receiver need to have enough clearance so the oprod can be removed when desired.

Call SAI and ask about it if you are concerned....

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. Brought it to my ffl (on Target in Asheville - they are awesome and treat me really well.) turns out my op rod tab was 1/64" out (small) It may have been over-brushed at the factory. Anyway, they got me a new one, I ran 100 rds thru, and no problems. Hope it's smooth shooting from now on. Thanks for all the advice.

Reactions: Deacon

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Anyway, they got me a new one...
Just wondering, they being On Target? or SAI through them? And, a new op rod? or rifle?

Anyway, glad they took care of you.

177 Posts
Hey guys. Something weird/bad happened with my Springfield M1A standard at the range yesterday. I bought the rifle new from Springfield less than a year ago and I've put around 250 rounds through it so far. Yesterday I was re-zeroing at 100 yds with PPU FMJ 145 gr. and after about 20 rounds, it stopped and failed to eject an empty case.

What happened, as far as I could tell, was that during recoil, the op rod handle jumped out of the receiver... and when it came forward, it jammed against the bolt bearing at an angle. I field stripped the rifle and with a little pressure was able to force the op rod forward out of contact with the bolt, so that I could then remove both. I put it back together and it seems to work smoothly, but I did not fire it again for fear that the op rod handle had been bent (although I could not visually see any bend in it.)

Has anyone seen this type of jam before? (I searched a bit, but didn't find anything quite the same.) Is it likely that it would have damaged my op rod? And do you suppose it was from an over-powered round? The works were greased, but pretty thinly. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

(and by the way, I just sold my SAR K2 .45 and replaced it with a CZ 97BD. I've gotta say, it's thee sweetest .45 I've ever fired. I absolutely LOVE it.)
If a gun malfunctions in auto or semi it is usually the ammunition or the magazine.

You said 145gr but you should try regular 147 gr FMC from Lake City or some other armory across the world in the ammunition storage of 7.62 NATO.

Commercial ammo is designed for deer in .30 cal and you can get green rad from the Brits for the M1-A Springfield that is simply M14 Soldier ammunition.

The operating rod could be bent or something but that is an anomaly compared to the likes of the M1 Garand with eight rounds and no chrome lined bore there.

177 Posts
Just an update. Brought it to my ffl (on Target in Asheville - they are awesome and treat me really well.) turns out my op rod tab was 1/64" out (small) It may have been over-brushed at the factory. Anyway, they got me a new one, I ran 100 rds thru, and no problems. Hope it's smooth shooting from now on. Thanks for all the advice.
I read from top to bottom and interject.

Good thread.

The op rod is rarely a problem with Springfield Armory or TRW or Winchester from the times.

Springfield makes good rifles in the M1-A category and they always have. They used up all USGI surplus to take the entire market until industries like Polytech and Fulton Armory came on the scene with "original USGI" parts.

Now Springfield makes their own M1-As without missing a beat.

Try and buy an original M14 and a Springfield M1A and it costs money either way.

I favor Springfield like the entire Utube video I watched from nutinfancy:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=nutinfancy+M14&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

nutinfancy is a soldier younger than I am and I like his presentation on the Springfield M1-A over forged real receivers from Fulton or Polytech.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
nutinfancy is a soldier younger than I am and I like his presentation on the Springfield M1-A over forged real receivers from Fulton or Polytech.
Uhhh, Fulton Armory makes their receivers from "Lost Wax" investment casting, and that's according to their website. -Lloyd GI1

·
Registered
172 Posts
glad you got it fixed. Look up tilt test. if you had a bent op rod or op rod guide out of whack the tilt test would show the problem.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I read from top to bottom and interject.

Good thread.

The op rod is rarely a problem with Springfield Armory or TRW or Winchester from the times.

Springfield makes good rifles in the M1-A category and they always have. They used up all USGI surplus to take the entire market until industries like Polytech and Fulton Armory came on the scene with "original USGI" parts.

Now Springfield makes their own M1-As without missing a beat.

Try and buy an original M14 and a Springfield M1A and it costs money either way.

I favor Springfield like the entire Utube video I watched from nutinfancy:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=nutinfancy+M14&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

Fulton Receivers are cast not forged.
You did not mention JRA or LRB as proven forged receivers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts