M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend the Quantico Shooting Club held its final vintage precision rifle match of 2021. The weather was good, and wind was not too bad. Here's some pics from the 300 and 600 yard event. (Tomorrow is 800 and 1000 yard match). Here's the morning sight-in period. The rifles ranged from vintage M1903A1s to modern M40A5s. Two M1As were used at today’s event, one of which was mine.
Sky Plant Tree Natural environment Cloud

My shooting buddy sighting in at 300 yds.
Cloud Sky Tree Plant Flag

Replica Navy SSR M1A at 300 yards.
Sky Cloud Military camouflage Tree Air gun

600 yard berm and M40A1 replica. (Note wind flags. We had some light wind in the afternoon).
Plant Sky Ecoregion Tree Cloud

My shooting buddy’s M40A3 replica:
Sky Air gun Machine gun Military camouflage Tree

Targets were SR-C at 300 and 600 yards, so that’s approx a 1 MOA 10-ring and a 1/2 MOA x-ring at 600 yds(!). That’s a 1” white scoring disc used at 300 yard relay. It’s a tough match at 600 yds…
Rim Circle Pattern Wood Precision sports

I think a good time was had by all.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Thanks for sharing those great picks.

Reactions: Random Guy

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, SR-C at 600 yards. So “X” hits are impressive. (Basically F-class targets but with vintage 30-06 and 308W rifles and mostly vintage 8, 10, or 12x scopes)

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No M1Ds. I might have seen one there a few years ago with M84 scope, but the QSC match is typically 99% bolt action rifles, many of which are replicas of USMC rifles (M40/A1/A3/A5s). Also see M1903s w/ 8x scopes, occasional M1903A4 w/ 2.5x scope, a guy who always brings a Swedish M41B or a Finnish capture M91/30 sniper rifle, and sometimes I see a pre-64 M70 sniper rifle at these matches as well, etc.

I do see a few M1Ds at the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches at Camp Butner, as that match is limited to 1953 and earlier rifles, whereas the Quantico Shooting Club match has two additional categories; Vietnam and Modern. I did let the match director try my M1C w/ 4X Kollmorgen scope last year, but it's a 2.5 MOA rifle with match ammo, and he likes rifles that shoot 1 MOA or less for this match - esp given the F-class targets that are used. For the 1000 yard rely, one guy brought out his replicas of a Navy Mk 13 Mod 0 and Mod 5 in 300 WinMag, but I didn't take any pics of them.

What one sees the most at the QSC matches are replicas of USMC sniper rifles of the M40 genre, and sometimes a couple of active duty Marines will bring out PWS-built rifles for the match. For example, here's two M40A5s built at PWS were brought out by two USMC rifle team members. (The USMC marked Badger Ordnance rings are a bit too high for this rifle, and I think these scopes were likely pulled off an M110 or maybe a 50 BMG rifle, ie, M107).
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Grass

Here they are at the 800 yard berm being used by the USMC Rifle Team members:
Shoe Plant Hat Sky Tree

Here's my M40A1 at the 1000 yard berm. My scores today were are not as good as the last couple of times I did this match with my M40A5 replica, and these old Unertl scopes often run out of elevation adjustment at 1000 yards with 175gr Federal Gold Metal Match ammo. Still, it was a fun match, even if my shooting partner shot much better scores than I did this weekend.
Plant Shoe Sky Luggage and bags Automotive tire

Next QSC vintage precision rifle match is likely in mid-April 2022.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think the guy with the M1A did okay, but not great. Same here, my SSR score wasn't as well as I would have liked. Last Sept I used my USMC DMR replica at 300 and 600 yards and shot a better score, so not sure why I couldn't repeat my Sept 2020 performance. (With my DMR replica, I dropped only 1 pt at 300 yards with a 149-5X, but I didn't do that yesterday with my SSR). My score suffered due to a distraction re my ammo and I didn't get one of my shots off during the 10-second target exposure, which of course destroyed my score at 300 yds - that was a silly mistake on my part. Opps).
Cloud Plant Green Sky Tree

I also did much better in April 2021 with my M40A5 replica, scoring a 190-5x at 800 yards, while my shooting buddy shot a 181-2x at 800 yards with his M40A5, but this weekend we basically swapped scores and he beat me by 10 pts at 800 yards when I used my M40A1 replica. Here's my M40A5 at 1000 yards back in April, but I didn't do as well today as I did 5 months ago...(conditions were similar).
(In the far background you can see a MK 13 Mod 0 replica and wood-stocked pre-WWII Winchester Model 70 with a 3-9x scope, along with my buddy's M40A3 and suppressed A5).
Military camouflage Camouflage Machine gun Air gun Marines

...so I guess I was having an "off day" so to speak. Still had tons of fun though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Besides a more challenging size target , we added 800 /1000 yd shooting distances to the normal CMP 300/600 yd Vintage Sniper Match. We don't do CMP 20 sec. target exposures at 300/600, we do ten seconds ...more than enough time at such close distances. The Quantico match is a bit more aggressive than than the anemic CMP Vintage Sniper Match. That said, if one has never shot 300/600 the its challenging to them and that all good. Many of our shooters at Quantico got a lot of time on this range shooting beyond 600 yds so 300/600 CMP match distances are easy to do.

I am so spoiled by having weekly access to this range, I only shoot 1000 yds ...and regardless of rifle , including my M1A...don't uncase at any yard line but 1000 yds. Not that I shoot 1000yds so wondrously but its the one yard line that I have yet to shoot well at on a sustained basis. For me 1000 yds is brute labor work . My progress is glacial.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am so spoiled by having weekly access to this range, I only shoot 1000 yds ...and regardless of rifle , including my M1A...don't uncase at any yard line but 1000 yds.
That is the stuff of dreams...maybe when I retire...maybe.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes, civilians are welcome. The match is a $20 fee for non-QSC members per day. The main challenge is getting your visitor pass the day before the range to get onto the base. (ie, two forms of ID are needed, and you have to fill-out paperwork, and they do a quick background check. The visitor control process changed in early 2020 and requires some pre-planning for this match).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes, civilians are welcome. The match is a $20 fee for non-QSC members per day. The main challenge is getting your visitor pass the day before the range to get onto the base. (ie, two forms of ID are needed, and you have to fill-out paperwork, and they do a quick background check. The visitor control process changed in early 2020 and requires some pre-planning for this match).
Random Guy, that sounds like so much fun, plus it would give me a chance to visit the Marine Corp Museum (I'm a long time donor).
My wife's family lives in Winchester and Front Royal so I can get her to ride along with me from Minnesota and make it a really fun trip.
I hope this will work out for April 2022 so I can give my M70 with Unertl a work out at 300 and 600 :)

John

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ft Lee was miles better to shoot at compared to quantico, so I always went there. Such a pain in the ass getting on quantico. Ft Lee had great skeet and trap rates too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What's Ft Lee like?
If going to shoot trap and skeet, you literally would roll up to the gate and say you have firearms, show valid drivers license, and be on your merry way. It was just over 3$ a round of skeet and trap when I left VA. Literally 3x that in Colorado. I will say sporting clays is similarly priced between the two states, but VA had better and more challenging courses.

If shooting pistol and rifle, that range was "on base" but outside the main gate at a separate training area (think like a mock urban environment, vehicles, woods, ect) that also had a decent pistol and rifle range. No gate shenanigans required for that one. it was like 5$ to shoot all day, but they did have wierd hours iirc.

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
If going to shoot trap and skeet, you literally would roll up to the gate and say you have firearms, show valid drivers license, and be on your merry way. It was just over 3$ a round of skeet and trap when I left VA. Literally 3x that in Colorado. I will say sporting clays is similarly priced between the two states, but VA had better and more challenging courses.

If shooting pistol and rifle, that range was "on base" but outside the main gate at a separate training area (think like a mock urban environment, vehicles, woods, ect) that also had a decent pistol and rifle range. No gate shenanigans required for that one. it was like 5$ to shoot all day, but they did have wierd hours iirc.
I thought they might have similar security nowadays as Quantico.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts