M14 Forum banner

Quantico Shooting Club - vintage precision rifle match, Sept 2022 (pics)

1552 33
I was able to attend this year's vintage precision rifle match at the Quantico Shooting Club (the April 2022 match was canceled, so it's been a year since they last held one of these matches). Weather was good on both days, but turnout was rather light (11 guys on Sat and only 8 on Sunday). Match ran quickly and it was a good time. I used my replica Navy M14 sniper on Saturday (my buddy used his replica EBR-RI), and on Sunday I used my M40A5 replica. Some random pics for anyone interested:
Military camouflage Machine gun Air gun Outdoor recreation Grass

Automotive tire Air gun Machine gun Trigger Motor vehicle

300 yard berm in the morning at prep-time. (Unlike some years past, the grass had been recently cut, so it was easier to find the spent brass in the short grass). Wind flags showed no wind that morning.
Sky Cloud Tree Luggage and bags Outdoor recreation

SR-C targets are 3" X-ring, so at 300 yards it’s 1-MOA, and at 600 yds it's a 1/2 MOA X-ring.
My score with my replica Navy M14 this weekend was 145-4x for 15 rds at 300 w/ 10 second exposures, and 178-2x for 20 rds at 600 in the untimed relay. Not great but okay w/ an M14 and old 10x scope. It's been a year since the last match, and two years since I last shot this rifle, so I was a bit rusty, but had fun. (I did shoot better on Sunday with my M40A5 replica)
Recreation Circle Pattern Stairs Rim

600 yard sight-in period. (The rifles were in the 'modern' category, except the M1903A1 on the end)
Camouflage Military camouflage Military person Military uniform Marines

The old Weaver T10 scopes are pretty popular on budget M40A1 replica builds used at these matches, as they are less expensive than an original USMC Unertl 10x, and the 1/4 click turrets work better for precision target shooting. I saw four T10s this weekend, including a wood-stocked M40 replica with a T10, which was kind-of neat looking, even if not quite correct. Weather was great both days.
Sky Tree Land lot Plant Grass

A left-handed shooting buddy at 1000 yards with his M40A1 replica. To his right was the only other M1A/M14 type rifle seen at this match (it has a 10x Leupold scope).
Sky Plant Air gun Tree Shooting range

Shooting partner on Sunday used his replica M40A1 w/ Weaver T10 scope, and I used my replica M40A5. He had a slightly higher x-count and his 1000 yard score was much better than mine. At the 800/900/1000 yards relays (15 shots each), I scored a 149-6x, 146-6x, and a 134-2x. I could have done better at 1000 but only 2 sighters are allowed, and my first few shots were in the 7 and 8 rings, and wind was getting finicky. At least I was happy with my score at 800 and 900 yards.
Military camouflage Air gun Machine gun Match rifle shooting Outdoor recreation

It's a fun, informal event, just wish it was more often.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, the local match director wants to keep it a little bit difficult, and jokes about how the half MOA x-ring at 600 yds will inspire us to "tighten-it up some.” (Match director is a former USMC shooting team member. His score at 300 yards on Saturday was an amazing 150-12x(!) using his replica M40A3. Some/many of the competitors in this match regularly clean the 300 yard targets with their replica sniper rifles, so he presumably wants the 600 yd relay to be more challenging...

Indeed, some of the participants in the recent past have been former USMC scout-snipers and other experienced vets from other branches, so I guess he wants to ensure its a challenging event for those guys. Hence the intrinsic satisfaction felt with any x-ring hits at 600 yds using old-school rifles…

·
Registered
349 Posts
I was able to attend this year's vintage precision rifle match at the Quantico Shooting Club (the April 2022 match was canceled, so it's been a year since they last held one of these matches). Weather was good on both days, but turnout was really small (11 guys on Sat and only 8 on Sunday). Match ran quickly and it was a good time. I used my replica Navy M14 sniper on Saturday (my buddy used his replica EBR-RI), and on Sunday I used my M40A5 replica. Some random pics for anyone interested:
View attachment 491686

View attachment 491687
300 yard berm in the morning at prep-time.
View attachment 491693
SR-C targets are 3" X-ring, so at 300 Yds is 1-MOA, and at 600 yards it's a 1/2 MOA X-ring.
My score with my replica Navy M14 this weekends as 145-4x for 15 rds at 300, and 178-2x for 20 rds at 600.
It's been a year since the last match, and two years since I last shot this rifle, so I was a bit rusty, but had fun.
View attachment 491690

View attachment 491691

A left-handed shooting buddy at 1000 yards with his M40A1 replica.
View attachment 491692
A fun event, just wish it was more often.
Random Guy,

I noticed your shooting mat in the pics. Are those Eagle Industries by chance? Reason I ask is, I'm sort of a tactical gear dork too.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I noticed your shooting mat in the pics. Are those Eagle Industries by chance?
Nope, my buddy and I used old Midway shooting mats. Nothing fancy. The lefty with the M40A1 was likely using an old Eagle Industries mat, as perhaps his buddy was too, as I recall. I have an used/ salty Eagle in OD green, but haven’t used it. As for my background, I’m more of a random civilian hobbyist. The lefty in the above pic is a US Marshall, but most of the others are either vets, or civilians like me who enjoy the informal competition.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, the weather was about perfect. Random, thanks for taking pics! I was on the opposite relay and I didn't see your stuff.
The targets are quite small and I appreciate it as it develops skills. If we used the full sized targets everyone would clean them, what's the fun in that? Considering it's been two years since I had any rifle time, I was pleased with a 149 3x at 300.
The T-10 definitely was the predominate scope. Everyone on my relay was using one on M40A1's.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nope, my buddy and I used old Midway shooting mats. Nothing fancy. The lefty with the M40A1 was likely using an old Eagle Industries mat, as perhaps his buddy was too, as I recall. I have an used/ salty Eagle in OD green, but haven’t used it. As for my background, I’m more of a random civilian hobbyist. The lefty in the above pic is a US Marshall, but most of the others are either vets, or civilians like me who enjoy the informal competition.

Right on mate. I still love your style no matter what you do to earn your bread.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
These matches are run via this organization (QSC). Only two of these vintage matches per year, early April and Sept.
The challenge is the visitor pass process for the USMC base changed in 2020, and one must now 'check-in' for a quick background check the day before the matches (Friday), and get your name added to the QSC roster a few days before the match, as a registered guest for the matches. So unless one pays for a membership, one needs to stop by the base b/t 8:00 and 3:00pm the Friday before the match. Once that is done, it's just $20 for each day, and lot of fun. One needs 62 rds per day, so 124-125 for the whole match, and $40 (or $60 if they have target pullers available)

Rules for match from 2021 (the rules didn't change in 2022).

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Well, Im active duty so I think that will help with the background check stuff. Thanks for the info.
Call the VCC just to make sure you shouldn't need any prior admin to be able to go on base. My understanding is that a valid Miltary ID or DOD badge offered all the background check vetting by virtue of the badge.

Many of the rest of us have to come early, like RG was saying, or get the DBIDS ID as member of the QSC.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for breaking out the '14s and giving us some eye candy!

Alas, we were supposed to have an M1A specific match in the last few days but it was cancelled. I have hoped our local events would allow the M1A in the vintage sniper / DMR category. It is still fun to break them out though when everyone else is shooting bolt guns or PRS specific rifles at a non-highpower match.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey Random Guy can you fill us in on the Leupold 10x mounted on the M40A1? Not being a smarty pants here but, is that the correct model of scope for this rifle? Just curious due to being a big fan of the 700 and M40 rifles in general. Was thinking the M40A1 came with Unertl fixed 10x or maybe fixed 6x scopes. Or were there other variations of optics so equipped on said platform?

Side note: Seems like it was you or maybe another member who showed photos of his massive collection of personally owned military sniper optics. Rows upon rows of precision rifle optics. I was stuck in place for what felt like days gazing at my screen as if needing a reboot like a vapor locked computer system. It was if I'd left earth and transcended to an alternate reality, while completely sober I might add. When I came to, I realized I had actually drooled a very large puddle under my chair which took my wife and family 30 minutes to clean up. Yes, at this time I had just escaped a deep dive within a sniper scope dream world and was attempting to recover.

I wish more collectors like you were willing to share their experiences and hobby with the rest of the gun community. Many of us get so much enjoyment from just looking at the photos. The information written is a bonus score. For some reason I personally find this stuff extremely interesting. Its small hunks of history imo.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Their is no Leupold 10X shown on any M40A1s at that event. (One M1A used one) The M40A1s were using the Weaver T10 or the Unertl 10x. Both are considered correct, as a few T10s were used on some late 1970s era M40A1s by a particular Marine recon group. The USMC Unertls came later.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yes, the local match director wants to keep it a little bit difficult, and jokes about how the half MOA x-ring at 600 yds will inspire us to "tighten-it up some.” (Match director is a former USMC shooting team member. His score at 300 yards on Saturday was an amazing 150-12x(!) using his replica M40A3. Some/many of the competitors in this match regularly clean the 300 yard targets with their replica sniper rifles, so he presumably wants the 600 yd relay to be more challenging...
Indeed, some of the participants in the recent past have been former USMC scout-snipers and other experienced vets from other branches, so I guess he wants to ensure its a challenging event for those guys. Hence the intrinsic satisfaction felt with any x-ring hits at 600 yds using old-school rifles…
Tough crowd to keep up with!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts