M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key ring has been carefully honed over the decades and now carries a durable miniature version of every basic survival tool except common sense- Baby Champ knife, pea lighter, tiny flint/magnesium sparking rod and striker, flashlight, medication in O-ring capsules, whistle, telescoping space pen, and a magnetic compass. (Oh, and keys- and fortunately I don't drive GM vehicles.) Both the flashlight and the compass are on clips that allow them to be instantly removed for use, but the weak link in the system has always been that the suitably-sized round plastic compass would eventually crack or otherwise start losing liquid. I went through at least a dozen little Silva zipper pull compasses before Brunton came out with their Model 9041, which are far tougher so only about 5 of those... But my salvation was when someone on this forum mentioned Tru-Nord all-brass and no-liquid compasses:

http://www.trunord.com/

My keychain model arrived recently and I am extremely pleased with it. All brass, compensated, very high quality, no liquid, settles nearly as well as liquid-filled, and will glow in the dark once 'charged' with light, not something I had before in such a small compass. And I'm all the more thrilled because Brunton 9041s are no longer being sold, at least in my area. Now I can continue to jump out of the car and run or absent-mindedly stumble into the woods (hunting, etc) and still be able to find my way out again. The plain round button version of these would make the perfect compass for a more normal person's survival kit, BTW.

It took me a while to place the order and now I can no longer find the thread that inspired me to check out Tru-Nord, but thanks to the person that mentioned them, whoever you are!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Site

My key ring has been carefully honed over the decades and now carries a durable miniature version of every basic survival tool except common sense- Baby Champ knife, pea lighter, tiny flint/magnesium sparking rod and striker, flashlight, medication in O-ring capsules, whistle, telescoping space pen, and a magnetic compass. (Oh, and keys- and fortunately I don't drive GM vehicles.) Both the flashlight and the compass are on clips that allow them to be instantly removed for use, but the weak link in the system has always been that the suitably-sized round plastic compass would eventually crack or otherwise start losing liquid. I went through at least a dozen little Silva zipper pull compasses before Brunton came out with their Model 9041, which are far tougher so only about 5 of those... But my salvation was when someone on this forum mentioned Tru-Nord all-brass and no-liquid compasses:

My keychain model arrived recently and I am extremely pleased with it. All brass, compensated, very high quality, no liquid, settles nearly as well as liquid-filled, and will glow in the dark once 'charged' with light, not something I had before in such a small compass. And I'm all the more thrilled because Brunton 9041s are no longer being sold, at least in my area. Now I can continue to jump out of the car and run or absent-mindedly stumble into the woods (hunting, etc) and still be able to find my way out again. The plain round button version of these would make the perfect compass for a more normal person's survival kit, BTW.

It took me a while to place the order and now I can no longer find the thread that inspired me to check out Tru-Nord, but thanks to the person that mentioned them, whoever you are!
-------------

Here you go.

Hobo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts