M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my brand new Socom 2 rifle. i absolutely love it. Thing looks awesome and works flawlessly. Just wondering however if it would be possible to fit a full length barrel on this gun, and if I did would it still function correctly? This is just a kind of a theoretical question, just wondering if its been done.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I think a few people have done it now. You need a standard gas plug, standard gas lock, standard muzzle device, standard front sight with screw, castle nut and castle nut set screw.

As an option you can get an SEI GLFS ghost ring or dovetail (need a front sight with the dovetail) and a direct connect muzzle device.

You would probably also need a new op rod guide and roll pin.

Depending on the barrel you may also need a new hand guard and hand guard clip (medium or heavy weight barrel).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Alternately, one could jump in the way-back machine and buy a Loaded with the VLTOR rail, instead of the SOCOMII. Same damned thing and will save you a lot of hassle and expense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i'm interested in the same idea. i am doing research on buying my first rifle. i'm torn between the socom(16 or II) the scout and the 18" loaded.
i live in Austin and would not be shooting in open areas over more that 500 yards. i would be shooting for fun and at hogs on a friends ranch. Being former Marine, i was weighing the options of the ar-10 and the m1. i have settled on the m1 platform and am now refining my search to find the best fit for my style of shooting.
i would like to be able to clear room if needed and still take the weapon to the ranch for a hog hunt and some marksmanship shooting with friends(not national match or anything serious like that).
i went to two seperate gun shops yeaterday and got conflicting intel(surprise surprise). the first shop had scouts in stock and one loaded 18". they told me the socom was the most problematic of the three platforms and the accuracy was called in to question. he also stated that the 16" socom had cylcling issued due to the reduced gas chamber size in the 16" barrel.
the second store, had only one 21 instock, told me that the cycling issues would be from "limp" firing position, like a misfire on a weak handed pistol shooter.
i like the look of the socom 16, the length and weight and the incrased diameter of the rear site app and won't really need the rail system on the socom II, until my bank account recovers from the inital purchase.
but if i do decide or run into the need for more range, i would like to be able to fall back on the 18" barrel if needed. any opinions would be appreciated, being i know not a single person who owns or has fire any of the platfoms.
sorry for the long 1st post, but i have been obsessing over this weapon for a month now and can't wait to sight in and squeeze the trigger for the first time

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
i'm interested in the same idea. i am doing research on buying my first rifle. i'm torn between the socom(16 or II) the scout and the 18" loaded.QUOTE]

ATXMarine; I own a Socom 16 and would not give it up for anything.(Well maybe a Redhead) Got it last November, "06" safe queen, never shot or only a few rounds put through her. Did a few mods before I shot her, Sadlack N.M. sping guide, SEI Socom gas plug, Buffer Tech recoil buffer, Ultimak M8 hand guard. Have had zero issues with rifle, no FTF or FTE's.

I like to hunt up close and personal, Under 50 yd shots. And I have a thing for carbines. But your in Texas and have more open range. 400-500 yds is starting to push the Socom's limit. The 18.5" Scout would better suit your situation. and the only upgrade I would recommend is a N.M. spring guide.

Hope this Helps,
Glenn

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks guys, foggie sorry if i hijacked your thread.
the vegitation surrounding Austin is thick sage, oak, and mesquite. i'm in the "hill counrty" from hill top to hill top it could be 500 yards, but most of the hogs would be between the fingers and in the valleys. i would be brush bashing to get to where they are. the socom looks the part and i'm sure if SA designed it with a 16" it works with a 16", but i think i'll go with the scout in od green and maybe switch the rear site ap for the larger socom for quicker target aquisition.
i heard someone talking about having two zeros on the rifle. one through the iron sights and one through the red dot. i could zero to say 150-200 on the irons and 300+ on the red dot and just look through the red dot when its turned off for cqb situations. does that work? all of my duty weapons were iron sights only and i have never fired through or mounted a red dot before.
i checked around and will likely order the rifle through a local gun shop rather than the internet, because i like to spend my money where i live.
once again gents thanks for the input and advice!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just traded my SOCOM 16 for a loaded. It seamed easier than having all the work done. Plus the Loaded already had the the stuff I wanted. I got the SOCOM in a trade. So one more trade and I have what I wanted all alongGI2

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Just got my brand new Socom 2 rifle. i absolutely love it. Thing looks awesome and works flawlessly. Just wondering however if it would be possible to fit a full length barrel on this gun, and if I did would it still function correctly? This is just a kind of a theoretical question, just wondering if its been done.
Yes it can be done. As stated you have to change out parts, and spend money to do it. Normally with a stock rifle/standard iron sights, a Socom will not out shoot a Scout, nor will a Scout out shoot a 21" std rifle. If you are looking at extending the range of your Socom a bit, add some good optics to it. This will get you reasonably out to 400yds. dozier

Yes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.