M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not clear on one thing.If you own a preban AK for instance and it did not originaly have a folding stock, can you install one and still be legal.I am in New York and cannot purchase a new folder.Just wanted to see if anyone here had some insight.Thanks in advance Ray

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
I am not clear on one thing.If you own a preban AK for instance and it did not originaly have a folding stock, can you install one and still be legal.I am in New York and cannot purchase a new folder.Just wanted to see if anyone here had some insight.Thanks in advance Ray
Yes you can but to be legal you need to comply with U.S. parts count unless the AK was already registered pre 89 then it doesnt need to have the U.S. parts count involved, you can jsut switch it out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
just a few more details. In 89 they tightened up the law that had been effect for a long time that limited imports of weapons to those that are suitable for or readily convertible to sporting use. They decided that "normal configuration" AKs and SKSs don't meet the sporting use test, so in order to import them they have to remove the bayos, flash suppressors, pistol grips etc. Hence the thumbhole stocks on AKs. To convert them back to "normal" you have to replace a certain number of certain parts to US manufacture so that it is no longer "imported". If your AK was imported after 1989, you're screwed UNLESS you replace enough qualifying parts to US. Silly, huh? You'll have to find a list of parts somewhere to figure out how many you need to change and what they are.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.This rifle is pre89.It has a folding type spike bayonet and a threaded barrel.I actualy just picked her up last night.I made a trade for it and it took a little longer to get then expected.Its a Polytech AK with a stamped reciever.The seller told me he purchased it from the original owner and that guy purchased it in 1985.Its got some handling marks but is unfired.I verified that tonight.No carbon on piston and the bolt face is like a mirror.I am going to install a east German side folder.Should look pretty cool Ill post pics later.Thanks again Ray

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to show a few pics of the Polytech after I installed an East German sidefolder.Thanks again guys....Ray

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to come clean.The black pistol grip and the handguards are not original.The handguards are Chinese .I have had them for years.Luckily the lower one must have been intended for a spike folding bayonet because it has the same channel cut underneath it as the original I removed.The pistol grip is US made again I had this lying around.I just liked the way it looked with a black grip!!!! :D I removed the original stock set and put it away for safe keeping.The wood looked great for being 20 years old.I figured this side folder can be removed and the gun put back into its original configuration without any permanent modifications.I always wanted a folding stock AK and being in New York I have to obey some pretty stupid rules :evil: .So thats my story and I am sticking to it !!!! Thanks again all.Its always nice to get approval from those I respect. ;)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Cool AK !

Super cool AK there Raygun,,I been wanting one myself,but like you,I'm in the Great state of NY also. Been looking at the AKs from Chris Butler at www.ak-103.com some cool stuff but kinda pricey!!! I can get just a plane jane one from my local gun guy for around $335.00 tax and everything. I just want it for a blaster,plus ammo is dirt cheap comepared to 7.62 stuff,it won't be till after the new year anyways,so time will tell. Anyways you got a cool one to say the least! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.