M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very dear friend that passed away several years ago. He was an avid shooter and collector and was very much responsible for sparking my interest in firearms and shooting. When he passed away he left me a large collection of military rifles. I was not in the position to keep the collection and sold most of it off but decided to keep his US military rifles in memory of him. These included an 1899 Krag Jorgensen, a Springfield 1903, a 1903A3, a 1917 Enfield, am M1 carbine, and a very nice M1 Garand. In addition to these I also had my own newer production Springfield M1A Loaded.

I am needing to downsize the collection again and have thought about selling all the bolt rifles and keeping the M1s in his memory. This M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine are both nice period examples. However, I am not really happy with my M1A as part of this modest collection.

My question is what M1A would you purchase if you wanted a good military piece not just a consumer one. It will likely not be shot too much so I am really looking for something with more collector value. Not sure what the price ranges for something decent is. Would $3000 get a good rifle?

I do not know a ton about the M1As so thanks for your input.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
^^^ Exactly what he said. You can't just go purchase an original m14 (unless you have your class 3 and know someone who is willing to let theirs go haha), the closest thing you can do is get a low serial m1a receiver and load it up with GI parts. Or, start with a new production forged receiver, and load it up with GI parts lol. Needless to say, it's not going to be cheap.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,080 Posts
A U.S. military rifle collection usually only contains a commercial M14/M1A, as true military full auto M14s are rare and registered and classified as a machine gun, and cost like $30,000, 10x what you are looking to spend. A wood 'n steel clone of an M14 will likely have to do.
m14brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I guess I did not phrase my question very well. I know there was not an M1A military rifle and I know I cannot get anM14. I guess what I am looking for is the next closest thing. From the replies above it sounds like collecting USGI parts and having someone build it would the best way to go? Are there any builders that specialize in this? Would it be hard to find something like this already built? What price range am I looking at? Sorry i was not clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not selling them because I cannot afford to keep them. Not sure where you got that idea. I have enough money to do that. I am selling them because we are in the process of a major downsize in life and trying to change our lifestyle to one of fewer possessions and more time to go out and do the things we love to do. My goal is to downsize my entire safe to just some of my favorites. As an offshoot of that I am downsizing the rifles I am keeping in memory of my friend to just those three. I just thought that if I was going to only have three rifles to honor him I would want them to be quality pieces. This is not a financial issue.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Yes you can buy or build a M1A/M14 with mostly USGI parts ,No problem, I'd start soon though, costs are going up almost daily because of low amount of remaining USGI parts. SAI M1A rifles from serial #40K to around #100K had very high usgi content, Some very nice used M1A/M14 rifles come up for sale right in our PX right here on this site. some will even leave you enough $$ for some accessories or ammo. Just wondering, Have you considered buying the USGI parts and having them installed in the rifle you now have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Snyper762 - No worries. I can see how you may have come to that conclusion and agreed, that would not have made sense at all.

Hobo - My friend had no other family. Me and another friend inherited all of his belongings. Since his other friend does not like firearms, I ended up with all of them. Believe me, the decision to part with 90% of his collection was a tough one. I do have a lot of other, very sentimental items from him that I will never part with. The M1s were his favorite so it just made sense to me.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to do some more looking around especially at some of the builds on this site. I kind of like the idea of shopping and slowly collecting parts then shipping it to a builder to have it put together. I do not know a ton about the M1As and I think that would be a fun way to learn about them.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Since you've told us that you want to spend up to $3 grand I'd get an LRB forged receiver with a 22" chrome lined barrel, USGI flash suppressor, with USGI military parts. In the end you will have as close as possible to a Nam era semi auto USGI M14 which to me is your mission.

I've done the same thing on the cheap, times four. Using four Poly-Tech forged receivers and USGI M-14 parts. I'm a retired cop on social security and definitely not rich. I simply can't afford four LRB receivers for my milsurp hobby, this plan works for me.

The main thing to me is to use a forged receiver, since real M-14's have forged receivers, along with USGI M-14 parts and it must have a chrome lined GI profile barrel. Anything else to me, when it comes to M-14s is of no interest.

Welcome aboard the forum...

7th

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
You can buy m14 us parts and build a rifle. Only 1 part will be different than a true m14. The reciever.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I am not selling them because I cannot afford to keep them. Not sure where you got that idea. I have enough money to do that. I am selling them because we are in the process of a major downsize in life and trying to change our lifestyle to one of fewer possessions and more time to go out and do the things we love to do. My goal is to downsize my entire safe to just some of my favorites. As an offshoot of that I am downsizing the rifles I am keeping in memory of my friend to just those three. I just thought that if I was going to only have three rifles to honor him I would want them to be quality pieces. This is not a financial issue.
Pick up the NY times best seller "she got me by the balls" by Richard Yankee.

This downsizing is just a word. But to me (and other MEN) downsize mean you can't afford to keep them. A business down sizes because they have to financially not because : "omg my LIFE is so cluttered"

So it's not unusual for a body to hear that someone's forced to downsize and automatically assume it's for financial reasons.

I could be wrong but in some way you can't afford to keep the collection. Make sure it's you and not some hgtv show that came up with the plan.

She's gonna keep it up until all YOUR stuff is gone and replaced and you'll be in the basement with nothing but your lucky t shirt and your m1 garand for comfort!

Rant over.

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
There are always small obscure museums that would love to have items " loaned" to them. My dad found a small museum in the Texas Hill Country and donated "loaned" various WWII German rifles to them. Most were wall hangers anyway and they were his to do as he wished. Some I would have been glad to inheret. I can always visit the museum and say "My dad was willing to share those with everyone. " " Loan" them to a museum and honor your friend's name for all to see.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I would also suggest the LRB m14SA classic! Get the all H&R variant
He's really close but no Cigar.

In a perfect world you'd get the LRB receiver...

Then build it with all NOS (new old stock) USGI TRW parts.
Then you would have the best of the best M-14 rilfes on this planet, this side of a real TRW USGI M-14...

7th

1 - 20 of 23 Posts