M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would appreciate it if someone could recommend where I could get a unitized gas cylinder that has the screws and not welded. I would like to get one or two for my Loaded M1A's. :lol:

Any help in this area will be greatly appreciated. I did check with Bill Ricca first but no luck. :cry:

Thanks and Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
You might check with HueyGunner....he did one for me. I don't know what he would charge, but he may require you to send a gas cylinder assembly and front band. I know it involves annealing the spindle valve to soften it in order to drill through it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
tom:
i could do it for you to keep me in practice i have 2 jigs made up to do the drilling out and the taps and countersinks and the annealing process down pat for the spindle valves and to spot anneal the front band . you can send the cylinder to me with the valve and front band and i will do it. you pay postage both ways. jeff. ps do you want to use the short screw or the long screws that go all the way thru like john miller says to do it in the scott duff m14 book? . js.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Right ON!

HueyGunner (Jeff):

Man, that is really cool of you to make that offer. I really do not know enough about unitizing gas cylinders to determine whether to use long or short screws. I have not read the Scott Duff M14 book yet but hope to.

I will insist that you charge me something, even if its just beer money. The postage is NOT a problem. I definitely do not want to wear out my welcome. I have already gained a lot from these forums and would like to stay here a while.

Now, I don't know which way to go. I committed to buying two unitized gas cylinders before reading this thread (teaches me a big lesson) and I would hate to shaft anyone who made a legitimate offer and accepted.

I should follow through with the order to be fair, however I will end up with two plain gas cylinders and two front bands. Will you still consider unitizing these two that I will end up with? I know I will eventually need them.

And in all fairness to you, I should be charged plus postage. But that offer is VERY kind of you, sir. I do not want to ever take advantage of your kindness or generosity. Which is why I am disclosing everything. :lol:

Thank you again.

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry!

That last post as "guest" was me "dighawaii". I got a phone call in the middle of my reply and I guess my logon got booted (or I forgot to logon in the first place). :oops:

·
Registered
332 Posts
tom:
send it up when your ready e mail hawk he will send you my email address then i will give you my address. just pay it both ways. i need the therapy. it keeps me on my toes.jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unitizing Gas Cylinders

I've been monitoring this thread regarding the 2 screws method. And for the past 3 gas cylinders, I've always had them MIG welded. Great results, too. :D

What am I missing ?? Is the welding technique not recommended ?? Any enlightenment would be appreciated. :roll:

Thanks, :wink:
Barney

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hungry
FNG

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:45 am Post subject: Unitizing Gas Cylinders

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been monitoring this thread regarding the 2 screws method. And for the past 3 gas cylinders, I've always had them MIG welded. Great results, too.

What am I missing ?? Is the welding technique not recommended ?? Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Barney

Barney,
In Jerry Kuhnhausen's book (The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles) it states that the Army uses the screw method and the Marines welding. I don't think there is a right and wrong way to do this. It's just a matter of finding some one who is good at it. Ron Smith of Smith Enterprise Inc. does it both ways. Fulton Armory welds, Springfield screws ( Er' Uses screws?) :oops: . I have one of each. Screws on my Super Match and welded on my National Match.
Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts