M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if the seller said the rifle has a chrome firing pin or not but it has an LRB bolt.

I don have the rifle in possession at the moment so I can't tell if it is a chrome pin

My heart says shut up and shoot and enjoy! But my gut feeling "asks" the question after reading some reviews...

I have heard that the chrome firing pins in an LRB bolt can be an issue.

Is this a "dangerous" issue? Again unfamiliar with the M14 M1A

I wouldn't think this would be a huge deal HOWEVER I am not familiar yet with the rifle and the seller says it has never been fired.

Worst case, I buy a new/ different bolt?
Can I just drop in a new bolt?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Pull the bolt from the rifle. Hold the bolt in the left hand by the body. Grasp the tail of the firing pin in your right hand between the thumb and forefinger. While holding the bolt, manipulate the firing pin back and forth inside the bolt. Make sure you do not feel any binding or dragging. Push the firing pin tail into the bolt as far as you can and hold it there. Check to make sure the tip is protruding from the bolt face. If you have a protrusion Guage; check it. If not, examine the tip for any chips or mushrooming. Any damage or binding is cause for further disassembly and or replacement of parts when issues are identified. This goes for any bolt, not just lrb.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome.. Easy enough to check.
Thank you.
I want to enjoy my rifle and not dwell on what MAY happen.

I have read good things about the LRB products and to tell you the truth I had never heard about them until I purchased this rifle that happens to have one of their bolts.

Is this a chrome firing pin/ LRB only issue or can this issue happen to any bolts/ pins?

CH/MH 53 are awesome BTW or sea dragon
My favorite!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
AFAIK, some early LRB bolts may have had some issues with firing pins, as in the pin could not be advanced into the bolt body far enough to be functional. I think there was a thread or two.

I have an LRB rifle that came from the first batch to use their bolts. The only issue my bolt has or rather had, was a burr at the rear of the bolt. It is gone now and the bolt works just fine. My bolt does not bind on the interior of my receiver. My firing pin does not bind inside the bolt. My extractor cutout is cut properly and my extractor has the proper range of motion. I haven'the had any other issues with it, other than the burr.

The firing pin can bind in any bolt, Fulton, James river, LRB, Springfield, or USGI. It is important to clean the interior out when you detail clean the rifle. Firing pins and bolts are made on tooling, tooling can wear, you may have tolerances that can stack unfavorably, add in the inconsistencies of thickness of plating a part in chrome, and dirt/gunk and any firing pin can bind.

Also I noticed you asked a question in the original post about swapping the bolt entirely. I cannot recommend you do that. There is a lot that can go wrong with swapping a bolt. It can alter your headspace, and it can cause the bolt lugs to unevenly contact the receiver lugs causing one lug to bear the brunt of the stress from firing and can even lead to cracking of the lug and subsequent bolt failure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was built by Mike at Windy City. I have heard he does good work so I can't imagine it would leave a reputable place with a non functional bolt...
At least any builds I have purchased in the past have been test fired, so hopefully it's had a few run through it just to test it out.
I will just follow your advice and check movement/contact of the firing pin and bolt assembly.

Should I lightly oil the pin like an AR?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I purchased two of the new manufacture chrome firing pins that LRB sells, and found that one of them got stuck stuck inside my new JRA bolt while the other dropped in perfectly. I'm not sure if it is related to the original poster's question, but it may be that the issue is commercial firing pins not LRB bolts.

I guess the moral of the story is that it's prudent to check the function of all parts of the rifle prior to heading to the range. This is especially true as most of our rifles are some unknown mix of commercial parts and used USGI parts.

Cheers,
-Matthew

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have a rifle with an LRB bolt with a chrome FP. almost 3K through it.

I also have a rifle with a TRW bolt and a non-chrome FP. Less than 100 through it and the bolt disassembled itself in a match on a rapid.

Find something else to worry about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a rifle with an LRB bolt with a chrome FP. almost 3K through it.

I also have a rifle with a TRW bolt and a non-chrome FP. Less than 100 through it and the bolt disassembled itself in a match on a rapid.

Find something else to worry about.
Your right, I over think things...especially with the unknown and for probably no good reason.
I am sure it will be an excellent shooter for me and my son!

I'll post pics when she shows.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts