M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the trigger on a JRA Rockola M14 for sale on classic firearms. Pretty stoked! GI3

Already have a Scout Squad so the 22 inch barrel seemed a better choice for me. Now I just need to move to an area with more space to shoot in than south Florida :ARM11:. Seems like everywhere in south Florida is a WMA or private property. Guess I could just literally go hunting in the everglades instead....DI4

·
Premium Member
16,194 Posts
I am sure you will enjoy your James River/Bula rifle.
Congratulations on a great decision.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have yet to get pictures up but I do have some questions upon getting the rifle.

Everything on the rifle was nice, but it seems that the operating rod guide is not tight enough and lends to some lateral movement hanging off too one end more than the other. I was planning on cleaning the rifle and going to the range but I wonder if its worth addressing this first. The rifle came with a 1 year warranty and after watching Tony Ben's video on knurling the barrel I think its just something they should cover.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R7GaWCdMVk&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

I took a video of how loose it is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know how normal that amount of play is really, my scout does not budge at all.

The rest of the rifle is pristine it just surprised me to find this issue that could cause early wear on the gas system/accuracy issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dropped in a NM Sadlak spring guide with a CS spring from my scout and it did lessen the play a little bit over the USGI, but it is still noticeable.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Don't shoot the rifle with the guide that loose. Something is not right.

If you had a warranty with the rifle, use it. Just make sure the guy who does the repair knows what he's doing.

I wouldn't even try to use that guide again, just start with a new one and go on from there.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Don't shoot the rifle with the guide that loose. Something is not right.

If you had a warranty with the rifle, use it. Just make sure the guy who does the repair knows what he's doing.

I wouldn't even try to use that guide again, just start with a new one and go on from there.
Yeah, that's bad. The oprod will probably fly off hitting who knows what plus it will bind and wear badly. It should be solid and tight with no movement. And it should be aligned so the oprod hits the piston in the middle, not offset.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Agreed! Send it back for service!

Leon McKee

Yeah, that's bad. The oprod will probably fly off hitting who knows what plus it will bind and wear badly. It should be solid and tight with no movement. And it should be aligned so the oprod hits the piston in the middle, not offset.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Buelligan, Tony Ben said its "way too loose". Well guess I am waiting till Monday for a response, pretty bummed out about it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts